Mark IV A effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
So , it appears that I'm getting some minor tone suck in the effects loop possibly from one of my effects. I've recently built a pedal board. I'm not a big effects guy, but over the years accumulated some effects and really never used them b/c I was too lazy to get them out and hooking them up. Thought with the board, I do it once and then they are always there & i can use them if I want to.

In the fx loop I have a Boss RC-1 loop station, going into a MXR analog chorus -> MXR Carbon Copy delay -> Dunlop Rotovibe (original one). I've own my mark iv since '91 but again rarely used pedals. In the front of the amp I just have a Boss chromatic tuner going into a Crybaby. I also have an old Pro Co Rat from the '80s but rarely use it with my boogie. Usually with my practice amps.

Now I've read that all Boss pedals have a true bypass and are buffered, since that's the first in fx loop, thought that should do it. I thought there would be a level/volume control for the loop. IF anything is sucking the tone it's most likely the Rotovibe since it's so old. It's really not that bad, but it does bother me.

In the boogie manual the following is listed;
"Remember the MASTERS double as effects send controls and the OUTPUT LEVEL also works as an Effects Return control"

What do they mean by the OUTPUT LEVEL?

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OK - so the master volume. That's what I think of it as.

Thanks

Hi,

Your MXR pedals can also act funny in the loop. Usually every pedal that’s designed for the guitar signal levels will suck in the loop (distort/noise/level drop ) at least in Mesa’s line level loop.

You might want to try one pedal at a time in the loop and see what ones are having a problem.

The Rotovibe is basically a phase and probably be best not in the loop. Not sure if the others are line level or not.

I always thought of it as the Master also....I just noticed today after reading your post it said "output level".

stephen sawall said:
You might want to try one pedal at a time in the loop and see what ones are having a problem.

Yeah, that was my next step. I can say for sure it's not the carbon copy since I've recently used that in the loop by itself.

So you really think the Rotovibe is best in front? I assumed that since it has phase and vibrato effect (separately) it would be best in the loop, but I could be wrong.
Thanks

There is no hard rules....but the Rotovibe is a Univibe and all Univibe are a phase shifter. I don't know of any phase shifter designed to be used in the loop of a amp made by anyone. You could always ask Dunlop.

stephen sawall said:
There is no hard rules....but the Rotovibe is a Univibe and all Univibe are a phase shifter. I don't know of any phase shifter designed to be used in the loop of a amp made by anyone. You could always ask Dunlop.

Thanks.

I have thought of taking it out of the loop, but before I built my pedal board, I put it in the loop (by itself) & it sounded better to me than in front. Though I'm starting to re-think that approach.

I'll be doing some rearranging this weekend to test.

Hello
about mark4 b I put my current configuration in attachment.
I have just my PRS as input and just a RMC4 and a DIGITECH GNX4 in effect loop for the addition of a chorus, and detune effect and a slight saturation by TubeSreamer.
the whole gives me a warm and soft sound in R2 and a little more saturated in Lead.
I don't use the GE. and I set the volume of the reverb to 2.
take care
dom

https://i.imgur.com/XpZKXsh.jpg

Just as a followup......

It was the MXR analog chorus that was causing the volume drop in the loop. I moved it to the front and it sounds fine, actually better. I contacted Dunlop and they said the Rotovibe can go anyway, just however it sounds good to you. No real hard rules for that effect.

So this is what I have now...

In front of the amp
Boss chromatic tuner -> ProCo Rat -> Cry baby wah -> MRX analog chorus

In the FX Loop
Rotovibe -> MXR carbon copy analog delay -> Boss loop station.

Thanks for all the hints.

Back