(clips inside) Mark III DRG red str, high-gain lead tone with *mids*?! critique welcome!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
Hello,

First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this forum, which I lurked on before pulling the trigger on this amp a few weeks ago. I hadn't played guitar basically for 17-ish yrs, and it is my love for the Boogie tone that made my love affair with guitar come back into full swing.

Now, an honest question- I see many people "scooping" these amps for lead tones (even Petrucci, whose tone is the first thing that made me want a Boogie). I totally get doing it for rhythm- it is an incredible, legendary rhythm sound. But for leads, I have lots of mids in my sound. Am I missing something?

https://youtu.be/p3vlNcUdqDQ

This was done in 1 take, so I know it's not always the cleanest playing. But this is about tone!

Please give me some critiques if you think my tone would benefit from any tweaks, I'm very curious.

Also, please let me know how you think a Mark IIc+ performs in this realm, might differ from this amp, etc. I'm dying to play one, and this is the type of tone I'd like to dial in.

If you don't like my tone, please tell me- you won't hurt my feelings!

OK- here's something strange, curious if other have had experience:

I just bought a Two Notes Torpedo Captor load box/attenuator, and got very excited about hearing my amp at -20dB attenuation

However, when I used the attenuated speaker output, and got my master volume a little higher (3 1/2? 4?), it did NOT sound good!

Having my amp just past "1" master volume, with no attenuation, IMO, sounds way better... I'm thoroughly confused. The non-attenuated sound, pushing it up to the limit where I don't think my neighbors in my apt building will complain, seems so much richer, warmer, smoother... more full...

The attenuated sound through the load box/attenuator sounds closer to the direct out sound on the back of the amp (well, not quite that bad). Much thinner, not as saturated, brighter (in a bad way), honkier mids... yuck

I bought this mainly for silent recording, to go with a cab emulator. Just thought having an attenuator would be fun, as well. So far, not so much...

EDIT: I just read from multiple sources that the Torpedo Captor's attentuator is known for being fizzy and thin-sounding. Good thing I didn't buy it for that!

Personally if people are scooping their lead tone that tells me they only play at home & not with a band. In the band mix I either turn the GEQ off for leads or switch to a frowny face GEQ.

Your tone is right on for a stock III. I like pull deep for leads but not for high gain rhythm.

To me, there is no better lead tone than a IIC+. The best one I've had for lead tones just came back up for sale FWIW.. This one.

https://youtu.be/SK0XyhzLQBs

GJgo said:
Personally if people are scooping their lead tone that tells me they only play at home & not with a band. In the band mix I either turn the GEQ off for leads or switch to a frowny face GEQ.

Your tone is right on for a stock III. I like pull deep for leads but not for high gain rhythm.

To me, there is no better lead tone than a IIC+. The best one I've had for lead tones just came back up for sale FWIW.. This one.

https://youtu.be/SK0XyhzLQBs

I wonder what my wife would say if one of those just showed up in the mail next week...

That is a great tone- although active pickups are not for me. I'm really loving my red stripe, though. I'm glad you put that comparo video up. I feel the III++ does sound slightly bigger and more full (very slightly), but a tiny bit more compressed, as you mentioned. Before you did the upgrade, did you usually pull both rhythm 2 and lead?

I think I'm happy to sit tight with mine- I'll consider getting one mod'd if I get a second one. The original III tone just might be the one for me. While I am sure I'll eventually try a IIc+, if you told me I could never have one, I think I'd be OK with my III! (let's see what I say after playing a IIc+)

I never pulled them both before. There is a small difference because it adds a 5th gain stage but it wasn't enough (to me) to matter.

The biggest difference with the mod is how clear & smooth it is, and yet crazy high gain. That and the extra compression.

FWIW I've sold all my C+ and I have a B+ and a III++, and I'm totally happy with it... To be fair if I was a great lead player I'd have to keep a C+ though.

Back