Opinions on the Mark IIB+ vs. Mack IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'59fatburst

Reaction score
I own a 1980 Mark IIB which has had the post effects master volume mod performed on it. I've heard folks refer to these amps, likely in jest, as a Mark IIB+. Apparently, one of the added benefits of this mod is smoother gain and getting the amp tonally "closer" to a Mark IIC+. Have any of the experienced members here happened to have played both amps? I'd like to hunt down a IIC+ but I'd like to know if there's a significant enough difference to justify the purchase of a IIC+.

Non-jokingly in the past you could get a IIB upgraded to IIC+ specs at Mesa, but they no longer have the parts. So you might be seeing different things depending on how knowledgeable/honest the owner/seller is. Could be a IIB actually upgraded to IIC+ specs (not sure if those we 100% the same or just really close to a IIC+) or a IIB with some or all of the currently available IIB upgrades. I couldn't tell you about the differences though, there are already so many version of these amps and slight changes even within the range of each "model", it's tough to compare other than side-by-side... even then you've got different tubes complicating things!

I'm on my 4th IIC+ now. I also have a IIB with the loop mod, "IIB+". I have slaved them all around. The B+ is THE CLOSEST to the C+. More so than any III I've had. My B+ has gain between a C+ and a C++. It's a little more open & a little more / better bass. The main difference is the C+ is THAT much smoother. There is NO other Mark as smooth as the C+ except maybe my Five 35, but that's a modern tone amp.

To your question is it worth it to get a C+ when you have your loop modded B? If you can afford it I'd still say yes, it's worth it to know.

I have lots of tonal comparisons here you can check out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fast13b/videos

Oh man, thanks GJgo. I guess that means that my hunt for a IIC+ continues...I will say that my B+ is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Amazing. It kind of blows my mind to think a IIC+ may be even better.

Latest posts

Back