Mark III bass control question

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

captainbrew
Bottle Rocket

Mark III bass control question

Post by captainbrew » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:30 pm

I just picked up a red stripe mark iii combo which seems to work fine and sounds fantastic but wondering if the bass control is working correctly.

The push pull bass knob definitely adds bass when pulled but the bass knob itself seems to make no real difference wherever I set it.

Is this normal? Is the bass knob subtle on these?

If this isn't normal what might be the issue if the push pull seems to be working fine?

Thanks!

CoG
Donating Member

Re: Mark III bass control question

Post by CoG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:50 pm

The best way to describe it is that you won't find any more bass than you're giving it, and almost everybody will tell you its sounds better below 2 anyway. On a Mark, if you need to compress someone's ribcage that's what the 5-band is for.

If I'm plugging my Jackson with EMGs straight in, the bass knob does nothing worth mentioning lol. Old 14-pound Ysmaha SG, there's a *bit* of room between 0 and 2. Try switching to your neck pickup and see if that makes the control behave a little differently, or put an EQ pedal in front and boost the lows just to test. It's possible that the knob is shot, but yeah, it is pretty subtle.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

woodbutcher65
Mark III

Re: Mark III bass control question

Post by woodbutcher65 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:18 am

Check out the bass control in the clean channel. It should be effective there, no doubt about it.

In the lead channel it will be less effective. Basically it'll just control how much bass gets into the clipping stage.

The tone controls are pre-distortion. The graphic EQ is post distortion. So, tone controls don't really increase the volume of bass, midrange, or treble when in the lead channel. (Or rhythm 2)