Mark II fx loop and Boss pedals?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering why some stompbox effects sound just fine in the FX loop of my Mark IIB and Mark IIC+, and others don't?

Specifically, a Boss CE-5 chorus, PH-1r, PH-2 phasers, and a Malekko Echo 600, all sound fine and dandy through the FX loops of these amps, while others, such as a RV-3 Reverb, CE-3 Compressor, DS-1 distortion, and a tremolo I built from a BYOC kit, all exhibit either very weak volume (the compressor and distortion) or weak volume AND distortion, almost like a bad patch cable (side note -- I confirmed this wasn't just a matter of bad cabling).

Yes I know that Mesa recommends only line-level rack-type gear in the fx loop and stompboxes out front.

I'm wondering what could account for the differences?

Side note: If I play my guitar directly into the DS-1, directly into the FX Return, it actually sounds pretty good.

Most stomp boxes are designed for high impedance / lower instrument level signals, like the signal from your guitar. Most FX loops (especially Mesa) are sending a much stronger low impedance (line level) signal through the FX loop.

You are overdriving the input of your pedals with the hot signal level of the FX loop.

I guess what I'm wondering is why the line-level signal from the FX loop affects various pedals differently. Some of the Boss pedals sound just great in the loop, even some older ones like the PH-1r. But others don't, and that's interesting to me because I would have assumed that they would have similar input circuits.

Back