Converted IIC+ with Export Transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papan

Reaction score
Hi all. What’s a fair price for a converted IIC+ (DRX widebody) with the X101 export transformer? I found one locally on Craigslist, that is also posted on Reverb for $2800 (link below). That seems high to me, but I’m not entirely sure.

[Reverb - IIC+ DRX][https://reverb.com/item/19775087-vintage-mesa-boogie-mark-iic-drx-head-simulclass-reverb-very-rare-x101-export-transformer]

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84402&p=521552

Price wise I'd rank them as follows from worth the highest to the lowest.

(K=Coliseum D=Simul, H=100W, S=60W, R=Reverb, G=Graphic)
KRG
DRG
HRG
SRG
KG
DG
HG
SG
KR
DR
HR
SR
K
D
H
S

Then based on that you can add in the following for more value for each of the following:

105PT worth more on the US Voltage models (obviously not the coliseum that has its own crazy PT). Export IIC+s will not have the 105PT. Really doesn't make too much difference which transformer IMO but people will argue over this...
Long chassis worth more.
Hardwood Cabinet with Wicker Grille worth more
Switchable +/++ worth crazy money

So missing the Graphic EQ is the main thing, HOWEVER, Doug West supposedly swears that the Non Graphic IIC+s sound better because of a different cap... Since it's a simul it's pretty high on the list and has the X101. It's definitely one of the more desirable IIC+s.

Also it has the RP11A board - this is the same as the 'factory' IIC+s so is identical to those if that is a concern?

It's worth what someone will pay and how desperate you are for a IIC+. I reckon around $2000-2500 is probably a fair price IMO, but I'm not sure on the US market of these - I live in the UK where they're mega rare and hardly ever go on sale. Hope that helps.

That's a great breakdown on the previous post. Very well done.

The export transformer is generally more desirable because it is rarely seen in the US market and is supposed to offer a smooth yet hot lead tone, kind of like the middle ground between the 100 and 105 power transformer.

For me, the bigger thing from a collector point of view is that it is an upgraded C+ (ie less long term market value), and from a player's point of view, it doesn't have the Graphic EQ. The EQ to me is essential in capturing the legendary C+ tones. I've owned 3 C+, and quickly sold the first one as I couldn't get the sound I wanted as it had no EQ. Yes, you can now buy the Mesa EQ pedal (it didn't exist 12 years ago when I got my first). That part is up to you.

I think the previous member was correct in saying 2000-2500 is the proper price range, I feel. If this was a factory original (not upgraded) with graphic EQ and the export, it would be very very very rare, and very desirable. I can't recall ever seeing more than 1 or 2 of those ever on the market.

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure if the export transformer commanded a price premium. It doesn’t sound like it does.

I’ve never played a IIC+, so I’m not sure whether I’d prefer one with or without the graphic EQ. However, I have played the Mark V 25 and the Mark IV model on the Helix, and the graphic EQ was key to dialing in both.

Yeah you 100% want an EQ to dial in tones. So you'd need to buy the Mesa Graphic EQ pedal separately and put that in the EQ loop separately.

Looks a solid amp though and circuit wise it looks good with the correct maintenance done. It's also an RP11A which, although it was upgraded to IIC+ specs later on, is identical to the factory IIC+s. ALL factory IIC+s started off as an RP11A IIC, contrary to popular belief that there is some kind of 'factory' IIC+ board. There is absolutely NO difference between the two except the date the + upgrade was done (2012 vs 1984 on the production line).

The earlier Cs are different with the RP10 board and their + ugprade is different, but ends up the same as a factory IIC+ from a schematic point of view at the end of the + upgrade. These are the ones that are worth less money normally because they are physically different. I think this applies to the non reverb boards too (SP10 vs SP11) but I haven't confirmed this yet.

I feel. If this was a factory original (not upgraded) with graphic EQ and the export, it would be very very very rare, and very desirable. I can't recall ever seeing more than 1 or 2 of those ever on the market.

Yeah definitely second that - here in the UK and Europe there are hardly any export IIC+s actually now I think of it. Most are US voltage that have made their way over here. Although saying that to even find a C+ for sale in the UK and Europe is rare enough to begin with!

At the end of the day - try it out if it's local! If it blows you away then buy it for the 2000-2500 price range. If not then don't. It's simple. It's well maintained, authentic and is the most desirable out of the non EQ models apart from a coliseum.

I Have a friend in Germany. He owns 5 Mesa Boogie MKIIc+

4 Amps has got the EQ. But his favourit lead amp is the one without EQ.

He's sound is more blues-rock.

https://youtu.be/KwrGsnMA9KM

This is a pop Song with a 1955 Les Paul Standard converted to 58's PAFs over his favourit MKIIC+

I did not knew, that the MK IIc+ can sound that way. Most players play that amp to get Metallica sound.

peter-g said:
This is a pop Song with a 1955 Les Paul Standard converted to 58's PAFs over his favourit MKIIC+

I did not knew, that the MK IIc+ can sound that way. Most players play that amp to get Metallica sound.

There is something special about lower output humbucker pick-ups when playing through a C+.
I was stunned the first time I played my guitar with lower output pups through my Simul C+.
It was like they were made for each other!!
The tone and clarity was stunning regardless of the gain setting.
It's beena few years and that guitar with those pups is still my favorite guitar to play when using the C+.

Back