CLIPS! Super 60w III+ vs DRG III+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lions

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0J6Tx9zRsY

Bit of a comparison between the two amps.

The 60w is an export Blue Stripe that had its lead section modded to Red Stripe specs as the Blues and Greens change the lead section pretty significantly. There's a handful of mods to the rest of the preamp section, including the deletion a resistor and capacitor that was added in the Mark III, adding in a capacitor to the EQ circuit that was deleted in later Mark IIIs, and changing a capacitor from 470k to 680k in the lead section. It's pretty minimal overall in modding and the rest of the amp is stock. The DRG is an export Green stripe has been completely overhauled, every single component throughout the amp has been matched to a IIC+, except it's on a Mark III pcb. The mod has gone so far as to manipulate voltages to match the IIC+ as best as possible. This amp has also had a switchable "++" mod added, which I engage later in the video.

Both amps have C30 removed, which is the stock option on simul-class amps and Blue/Green Stripes, but is typically present on 60/100w Mark amps. After trying both with it, I much prefer them without this capacitor. Oddly, the Blue Stripe originally came with a 2nf capacitor here. This might have been a previous owner trying the infamous C30 mod, which is probably the biggest red herring in the amp modding world.

The 60w has two older Mesa 6L6s in it, they give a bit of a warmer sound probably due to age. The DRG has two newer Mesa 6L6s in it of the same type and two JJ EL34s. I'll be putting a pair of JJ EL34 IIs in it to get more low end, and probably in the 60w too as apparently they'll actually handle EL34s in those sockets.

There's not much post processing going on, a bit of EQ but the normal stuff you'd do to a guitar track. No surgical cutting or boosting. The DRG is a lot brighter in the upper extreme end, so there's more of a hipass on it than the 60w. Both amps are going through a Framus 4x12 with a Marshall Vintage speaker, it's a little less harsh than the other speakers in the cab which are V30s. Basically the same speakers but the Vintage is Marshall's version.

Both amps had the same settings, except the DRG was on around 3 on the presence vs 4 on the 60w. I like both amps roughly equally, I think the 60w could do with brighter power tubes, and the DRG presence needs taming a bit.

Both sound great! What are the amp settings?

For reference anyone reading this the deleted cap/resistor for the Blue are C28/R133

They should sound very similar too (and they do!) since the Preamp and Power Section of the Blue are almost identical to a IIC+, the only main difference in the Blue is the Lead section, which you've already modded to IIC+ specs. The EQ cap you've added would be C26. Technically there's 2 additional resistors and a small axial cap in the IIC+ EQ circuit which could be added too to the Blue for the full + mod but if it sounds great already then hey who cares!

Did you remove the extra Treble Shift LDR8 as well in the Blue?

Changing the 470K to 680K after R106 can be done same as a IIC+, but I've heard that 470K works better in that position as you'll get more clean headroom and shouldn't effect the lead channel's gain. I might try this in my IIC+ and report back as seems sensible to do.

Overall would you say it is a massive change in the Blue compared to stock and gets you the sound you wanted? That's the important thing at the end of the day!

Back