The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am 
Road King

What guitar and pickup combination do you feel is best suited to make a C+ truly shine? I use a PRScu24 with original HFS pickup and it absolutely slays with the Rectifier RevD. It sounds amazing with the C+, but I'm often left tweaking too much and looking for something more. I tried a JP guitar in a store once through a mesa rectoverb and hated it. But whenever I hear Petrucci guitars on youtube or elsewhere they sound great. Metallica EMG gibson/esp is a no brainer. What experiences have you all had?

Mesa Standard 4x12
1980's EV Thiele
Sold:
'92 Dual Recto Rev. C
'92 Dual Recto Rev. E
'05 Dual Recto 3ch
'84 Mark IIC+ DR
http://www.TheBoogieArchives.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:55 pm 
Donating Member

I have two identical Steinberger GR guitars with SD hot rails in the neck and middle positions and a Tom Anderson H3+ in the bridge. The guitars couldn't sound more different, like a Les Paul v. Stratocaster. My Les Paul sounds great also, but different. It sounds like a Les Paul even unplugged!
What I'm implying is that it all depends on what you consider good tone. I personally love Yngwie's tone, the guy's from KORN's tone and Eric Johnson's tone but I sound like Hetfield/Hendrix when I play and if I started to sound like KORN, Johnson or Yngwie, it just wouldn't work. For metallica metal tone, the H3+ in a Jackson guitar is what Hetfield used for Master of Puppets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 am 
Mark IV

Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.
Good insights Markedman.
One thing I found worthy of considering is what gear was available to Mesa at the time of the development of the C+.
For example what guitar(s) and pickup(s) did they use during the testing and tweaking to get the C+ to get the sound/ tone they were trying to achieve.
So much goes into finding ones "tone". An amp alone doesn't do it. The whole picture including guitar and pick-ups as well as speakers, cabinet, tubes (pre am and power) ALL goes into finding ones "tone".

That said when Mesa was developing and testing the C+, Doug White was playing gear equipped with what was available in the early 80's. High output pick-ups may not have been part of his arsenal of humbucker and single coil equipped guitars that he used.

The reason I bring this up is due to certain older style PAF humbuckers and single coil pups that I've put in my guitars. One in particular was modeled after a PAF humbucker that came out of an old Gibson 335 from the late 50's/ early 60's. No doubt this type was available during the C+'s development and used. In any case I randomly installed these PAF pups in a "back up" guitar and put it away. One day My main guitar wasn't available and I ended up using this back-up guitar with my C+. The end result was 'holy sh*t'!! The output was such that it seem to match well with all the C+ could do. It didn't overwhelm the C+ but mated with it perfectly. I was getting tones that previously I was unaware the C+ was capable of putting out!

Now each of us has their ideal tone, be that like Metallica, or Slayer, or whoever that we're looking to achieve.
Not sure this lower output PAF would work for you but for me it was such an eye opener for me when playing the C+
Fwiw the pick-up I'm talking about above (should you like to check out it's specs) is the model call the "Landmark" made by "Manlius Pickups".
http://www.manliusguitar.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 pm 
Mark II

It's personal preference. There's no right answer except for the right answer to YOU.

Personally I can't stand single coil pickups in an overdriven/distorted situation. So forget the strat. That sound sets my teeth on edge.

I'm of the opinion that a PAF style pickup, but a fairly hot one, is a choice you can't go wrong with. So long as it's not anything made by DiMarzio, that is. (Never liked any DiMarzio pickup, plus I have an unburied grudge against Larry D.)

Seymour Duncan JB. (SH4-JB) It's my overall favorite bridge pickup.