Mark III Issues Turning on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conker985

Reaction score
So I have 2 Boogie Mark III's , one is a black stripe and the other is a blue stripe. I was playing on the black stripe one day and all of a sudden it turns off (the light would not come one). So I replaced the fuse and the light came on...turned it on still nothing.

Now my blue stripe. It turns on and I can hear the back of the amp and everything but still nothing.

Fuses blow for a reason. So its best to work why out before just replacing the fuse. I did have a power switch fail recently.

Faulty valves are invariably what blow the fuses in my Boogie.

Are the tubes glowing evenly with no hot spots/ hot smells.

Is there a hiss from the speakers when you turn it up?

Do you get a sound if you plug a guitar into the fx loop return to see if problem is just in preamp.

Happen on all channels?

Gotta give more clues.

Have you tried replacing the Phase Inverter, which is V5. When they fail it produces the same symptoms your amps have. I had 2 fail recently in my Mark lll’s. Hope this helps.

Has the amp ever been recapped? It's old enough that by now it will be due for its second recapping at the minimum.

Electrolytic capacitors have a limited service life. Replace them every 10 years, or 15 at most. Or they can fail in such a way that will do more damage and cost more money to repair.

I honestly do not know if it was ever recapped. It turned out to be an issue with my cab. The input where the speaker cable plugged into was bad and was fixed. However my amp tech was able to look over my black stripe and he cleaned her up good and got her working again.

That amp has to be 30 years old now. Did your tech even look at the filter caps and read the date codes on them?

If he doesn't know to do that, or doesn't know what to look for, get another amp tech.

The caps are due for replacement if they're more than 15 years old. 10 years is a better answer.

There's a really good chance that they're original. Which means they're getting close to shorting out, spewing their corrosive guts all over the inside of the amp, and taking out a power transformer.

But with speaker jack problems, I'd be worried about the output transformer. If it got killed, then that would certainly account for no sound with the pilot light working.

Back