100 watt PT in 60 watt Mark IIB(Blowing fuse)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
My Boogie Mark IIB is blowing fuses sporadically.
It's been recapped and has new Mesa power tubes with hardly any use at all.
This amp is a 60 watt model but has a replacement power transformer.It is a 100 watt Fender Export PT from a dual Showman I believe?It also has a Fender choke too?
Could this 100 watt PT be putting out too high voltages?
I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now and it's been fine but a couple of weeks ago blew 3 fuses in one night?I got a batch of slow blow fuses online.Bad fuses??
I'm interested to know if any damage could be done or any affect on tone from running this PT in the amp?

A larger transformer is going to dictate using a larger fuse. It's about the inrush current when you first turn it on.

Use a 3A slow blow fuse. That should work just fine. It's what's found in a 100 watt Mark III with export transformer.

When I got it back after being recapped it had a 3amp fuse in it.I thought the tech accidentally put in the 3amp and I put in the 1.5 amp as it says on the amp.I never thought having the the 100 watt PT would require a higher rated fuse.
Any thoughts on the voltages and what difference it would make to the sound/feel of the amp?
Thanks a lot for your help.

I'd expect higher supply voltages, and with the increased current capacity, the amp should feel stiffer and more dynamic. If you like a soft, spongy feel, you're not going to get it.

I should mention that I'm in the UK(240 volts)It says on the export switch to use 1.5 amp for 200-240 volts?

At 240 volt, 1.5A should be the right fuse size. That does imply there may be something going on with the amp.

So, put a 1.5A fuse in it and see if it blows the fuse if you turn it on with no power tubes installed.

Then put the tubes back in and see how it goes.

You may have a shorted power tube. In some cases they can cause fuses to blow.

Another distinct possibility is the filter capacitors. Have they been changed? By now they're certainly long overdue for it, if they're original to the amp.

It's still working well with the new 1.5amp slow blo fuse.I notice there is a bit of a thump when switching stand by on and the valves flash blue.Like a rush of current.Is this normal?

Well it's still working with that last fuse?Hopefully it was weak old fuses??

Latest posts

Back