EL34s in a 60W Mark Amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lions

Reaction score
I've seen boogiebabies say you can run EL34s in a 6L6 amp: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=3990

Old Mesa's ran 470 ohm screen grid resistors on the outer EL34 sockets.
If you want to run EL34's then go ahead. You dont need to install a bias pot, you just need to make sure that your tubes are not running hot or too cool. The input impedence on the OT is where you really need to know what type of load the EL34's will be seeing. I have run a lot of EL34's in 6L6 amps, including the SLO 100 with no modifications.

A 1K 5 watt screen resistor would not hurt, but mesa has been running 470 ohm on the simul sockets and 6L6 sockets at 483V+ for years. I would just make sure that your tubes do not draw a lot of bias. A bias meter would help, but it probably running -57 V which would be fine on almost any mid range natural current draw EL 34.

Any more info on this? Would love to try 34s in my 60w. I figured this would require modding though?

lions said:
Any more info on this? Would love to try 34s in my 60w. I figured this would require modding though?

If you read the whole thread.... mods are not necessary. (see BB's comment below, BOLD is mine)

Boogiebabies said:
If you want to run EL34's then go ahead. You dont need to install a bias pot, you just need to make sure that your tubes are not running hot or too cool. The input impedence on the OT is where you really need to know what type of load the EL34's will be seeing. I have run a lot of EL34's in 6L6 amps, including the SLO 100 with no modifications.

You even quoted BB. What more info do you need. If he says it's ok, go for it!

Boogiebabies said:
A 1K 5 watt screen resistor would not hurt, but mesa has been running 470 ohm on the simul sockets and 6L6 sockets at 483V+ for years. I would just make sure that your tubes do not draw a lot of bias. A bias meter would help, but it probably running -57 V which would be fine on almost any mid range natural current draw EL 34.

gts said:
lions said:

If you read the whole thread.... mods are not necessary. (see BB's comment below, BOLD is mine)

Boogiebabies said:

You even quoted BB. What more info do you need. If he says it's ok, go for it!

Boogiebabies said:

It just seems counter intuitive!

Latest posts

Back