IIC+ EQ Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerburst

Reaction score
Decision time. Do I send a recently acquired non-EQ IIC+ head in to Mike B to install a factory EQ, or leave it stock and use outboard solutions when I need EQ?

Pros- Factory EQ is cooler than without. Sounds “right”. Adds desirability/value. EQ is needed for certain types of tones (not my main focus, but sometimes useful).

Cons- Minimum out of pocket $700 total. Ouch. Original faceplate will be replaced with a MkIII faceplate. I generally prefer clean and lead sounds without the EQ, so it’s a lot of money for something I don’t need all the time.

I guess my main concern is the morality in the swapping of the faceplate. Dare I mod a classic, vintage amp or leave it intact and preserve a piece of American history? Soliciting opinions.

I'd do it.

In fact, I didn't know this was even an option.

Now I'm going to be looking for a IIC+ even if doesn't have the EQ, keeping the cost differential in mind.

In my case I have an early Mark III (with EQ) which has a IIC+ front panel with the extra silk screening on it for rhythm 2. That panel could be swapped for a later version Mark III panel, and the original's extra silk screening removed to be "correct" for a IIC+.

Basically the IIC+ is only a highly collectible amp with the EQ. Prices on EQ vs. non-EQ versions reflect that.

Non-EQ models actually differ slightly internally too. The Mark IIC+ mode on the V is based on a non-EQ IIC+ I think. I thought you needed to supply a faceplate to get this done?

lions said:
Non-EQ models actually differ slightly internally too. The Mark IIC+ mode on the V is based on a non-EQ IIC+ I think. I thought you needed to supply a faceplate to get this done?

Mike B says he can supply a faceplate and donor EQ circuit from a MkIII.

killerburst said:
lions said:

Mike B says he can supply a faceplate and donor EQ circuit from a MkIII.

That's pretty cool! I'd go for it, you can still keep the old plate for history.

Heck, I'd be interested in BUYING the original faceplate. Convert my SOB to something Mark IIC-ish with it. But probably point to point wired, which would be pretty neat.

Markedman said:
Average prices - Without GEQ = $1,300 With GEQ = $2,800 Just saying.
This also depends on the other parts of a C+'s configuration as well; things like reverb/ no reverb; whether it's a 60 watt, 60/100, Simul....
A fully loaded Simul (aka has EQ & Reverb) is imho more likely to be in the $3500+ range.

EQ does seem to command it's own affect on value especially if he plans on selling it, but if killerburst doesn't plan on selling it, and doesn't use/ need the EQ much of the time I'd leave it alone.

As for his concerns about daring to "mod a classic, vintage amp or leave it intact and preserve a piece of American history":
Don't let preserving a piece of history be your deciding factor. There are many many C+'s that have been modded one way or the other over the years.
Be they starting out as a IIC and getting the plus+ mod, EQ added, reverb added, you name it (++ mod too).
Modded Mesa IIC's and C+'s are everywhere and if nothing are just as desired if not maybe moreso than a IIC that didn't have all the bells and whistles.

Bottom line get it modded if that works for you and/ or you plan on selling it at some point.
But if you plan on keeping it and are happy the way it is leave it alone and enjoy it for years to come.

btw one aspect of getting it modded (adding EQ) using a MkIII faceplate is it'll "disguise" your C+ as being a MkIII :)

Using a MKIII faceplate on a C+ to add EQ has been done before.
In fact I've seen an original C+ that had a MKIII faceplate and it came from the factory that way!
Mesa simply used a black magic marker and swiped it over the "Pull Rhythm 2" above the Middle knob.

IF I could get a "modern" Mark III faceplate for my early Mark III, that would be one that actually says Mark III on it, (but it has to be an EQ version and not a long chassis) then I could probably be persuaded to sell or trade off my early Mark III faceplate for that purpose.

The early ones like mine are exactly correct for a Mark IIC+ with the exception of the added (after manufacture) silk screening for Rhythm 2. That silk screening ink can be removed with the right chemicals.

Or just mark over them with an ink marker.

Actually, if you have the original as a master, there are companies that can do the deep etched panels and copy yours, and maybe with some searching you could find the actual Mesa supplier that makes them. Maybe some sweet talking would convince them to run one for you for a restoration. Or another company could make it, but probably without the Mesa name anywhere on it. (Trademark laws, of course.)

I personally think Mesa should have a run of Mark II and Mark III faceplates made up from the original plans for the benefit of those who are restoring their amps. Certainly their older amps are now old enough to be "classic" "vintage" items that are worthy of a restoration, and what's a restoration without a really good condition faceplate?

There’s a new, never used c+ faceplate on ebay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163191238225

I just emailed Mesa asking if they would add a GEQ to a Mark IIC+ SR they said no its not possible. :cry:

Wait.....so your telling me i can buy a mk iib or mk iic without a geq and get the face plate changed so it has a eq. ?FROM MIKE B?

Back