Mark IV with a 50 watt speaker

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

fatbagg
Mark III

Mark IV with a 50 watt speaker

Post by fatbagg » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:14 am

Is it possible? Does tweed lower wattage, or just the input signal? I always keep the amp in triode and tweed.

drchek
Bottle Rocket

Re: Mark IV with a 50 watt speaker

Post by drchek » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:22 am

According to the manual:

Code: Select all

In the CLASS A position, only the two end power tubes are active, producing around 30 watts before clipping when operating TRIODE, or 50 watts when in PENTODE.

In the SIMUL-CLASS position, ... the power kicks up to around 85 watts PENTODE or 70 watts TRIODE
Doesn't specify any of the affects of TWEED in terms of wattage, but your safest bet would be CLASS A, then you'd be sure.

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:55 pm

I ordered a MESA Fillmore 75 to go in my Mark IV. I wouldn't hesitate putting a 50 watt speaker in it as, if you can hear me, "It's Too LOUD!" I don't think I've ever had the Mark IV above 1.5 on the master ever, even outdoors.
"Turn it down!"
I played a show yesterday and have video proof that I am nowheres near loud, let alone too loud.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

woodbutcher65
Mark III

Post by woodbutcher65 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Here's a tone improvement tip if you never get to let the amp breathe with higher master volume settings.

Engage the effects loop even if you don't use effects in it. Lower the signal level using the send and return controls and then you can boost the master volume control level while keeping the sound level down. This can make the amp sound more open. I've found that just about every amp sounds and feels choked when the master volume is down low.