Mark III Simulclass vs Super 60

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaltender46

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a blue stripe 60 watt Mark III head for a great price. I have plenty of experience with the simulclass versions of this amp but none with the 60 watt version. I'm looking for some opinions from people that have owned both. Tonal differences pros and cons that sort of stuff. The amp I'm looking at has no graphic EQ but I have a Mesa 5 band pedal which I plan on putting in the loop if I get this amp.

Thank you!

Mat_P said:
I thought the green stripe would always have simul class?
I took another look at the amp and it is indeed a blue stripe. Thanks I wasn't aware that green stripes only came simulclass.

60W is fine as long as the price is right. They're brighter sounding that simul-class amps (I actually prefer the 100W to simul and usually have my 100W switched down to 60W as it's already loud enough and get slightly more plate voltage that way) but I would be more concerned about lack of EQ as the circuit definitely adds a more defined sound than having an EQ pedal in the loop.

I'd also recommend a black or purple stripe and get it modded than a red or later due to a later circuit board revision (not all stripes are the same!). Depends what kind of sound you're after?

I generally go on a basis of starting with the max I would pay for a fully loaded simulclass (DRG) then reduce the price based on which features it doesn't have with graphic EQ being the most important in my opinion (reverb not so much as). So price wise it'd be:

DRG (Simul-class, Reverb, Graphic)
HRG (Hundred watt, Reverb, Graphic)
SRG (Sixty watt, Reverb, Graphic)
DG (etc.)
HG
SG
DR
HR
SR
D
H
S

So I'm guessing this is a 60W with no graphic or reverb (S)? If so unless the price is an absolute steal (I'd also be cautious as to why it's priced so low) I'd look for one with at least a Graphic EQ in my opinion and go for an earlier Black or Purple if possible and get it modded.

Thank you for the great reply. It is indeed a 60 watt with no reverb and no graphic. The only reason I'm considering this amp is I've noticed a sharp rise in prices on the Mark III lately. Seems like just last year I could get them under 1000 current pricing seems to be inline with Mark V and above Mark IV prices!

I have owned a DRG red stripe and a DRG Green stripe. I sent the Green stripe to Mike B and had the III+ mod done to it. It sounded fantastic after. I had been wanting an SLO for a really long time I sold it to partially fund the SLO (which I love) but found I always missed the Mark III. As great as the SLO is the Mark III has something unique going on and I find that its less compressed and more open sounding than the Mark V and IV I've played.

I think the Super 60s are the sleepers of the bunch. I had an upgraded IIC+ SRG 60w with a pair of 5881's in the sockets that killed. The 100's and Simul's have more low end, but the 60w has this medium power, midrange thing that just works.

Big Block said:
I think the Super 60s are the sleepers of the bunch. I had an upgraded IIC+ SRG 60w with a pair of 5881's in the sockets that killed. The 100's and Simul's have more low end, but the 60w has this medium power, midrange thing that just works.

So I picked up the super 60 today. I must say it really is a sleeper. I put a Mesa graphic EQ pedal in the loop and it has all the tone that I could I want. It really isn't much different than the simulclass amps I've played. It's nice to get a little bit of power tube saturation going too really provides a slightly warmer tone. Overall I would say the amp is slightly brighter and a touch more aggressive than the simul's. Overall these are a great deal and I'm totally happy. I thought I would miss the graphic but the pedal in the loop works perfectly!

jrb32 said:
60W is fine as long as the price is right. They're brighter sounding that simul-class amps (I actually prefer the 100W to simul and usually have my 100W switched down to 60W as it's already loud enough and get slightly more plate voltage that way) but I would be more concerned about lack of EQ as the circuit definitely adds a more defined sound than having an EQ pedal in the loop.

I'd also recommend a black or purple stripe and get it modded than a red or later due to a later circuit board revision (not all stripes are the same!). Depends what kind of sound you're after?

I generally go on a basis of starting with the max I would pay for a fully loaded simulclass (DRG) then reduce the price based on which features it doesn't have with graphic EQ being the most important in my opinion (reverb not so much as). So price wise it'd be:

DRG (Simul-class, Reverb, Graphic)
HRG (Hundred watt, Reverb, Graphic)
SRG (Sixty watt, Reverb, Graphic)
DG (etc.)
HG
SG
DR
HR
SR
D
H
S

So I'm guessing this is a 60W with no graphic or reverb (S)? If so unless the price is an absolute steal (I'd also be cautious as to why it's priced so low) I'd look for one with at least a Graphic EQ in my opinion and go for an earlier Black or Purple if possible and get it modded.

So this one ended up being a SR blue stripe. The price was too good to pass up. I ended up getting it for 350 post negotiation so I felt that was a pretty good price. I'm curious why the black/purple is preferable for modding. Aside for the circuit board I believe those may(?) have a 105 transformer right. For the price I'm really happy but I think ultimately a simul or 100 watt with graphic would be the best way to go.

I mostly play metal when gigging but I play styles as diverse as blues and classic rock as well. I really like the versatility that the mark amps provide.

goaltender46 said:
Mat_P said:
I thought the green stripe would always have simul class?
I took another look at the amp and it is indeed a blue stripe. Thanks I wasn't aware that green stripes only came simulclass.

There are a few rare Green stripes wired in pentode only mode with the 60/100 switch. I used to own one.

Latest posts

Back