Mesa Boogie Halfback Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan2k

Reaction score
New to Boogie so hello ev1.
The reason for the post is i just upgraded to two MB Dual Rectifiers. One was running an Orange 212 cabinet and the other started off with a Mesa Boogie 112, but also grabbed a Mesa Boogie 212 Blonde thinking I was going to need at least a 212 for bigger stages.

Then came a Mesa Boogie Halfback with Black Shadow speakers on top and ?? on the bottom (will open today to see what it is). I thought it would be perfect plus it made my rig look crazy badass. Only thing is, the halfback has a midrange/high end punch that is almost to much for the new metal crunch (djent if you will).
Was thinking of covering the top open part of the cab so the speaker had less room to breathe but also not knowing if I am running the cabinet at the right ohms.
I see a handful of people had the same tone issue and a couple of people were even going to close the cabinet as i am thinking.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the Mesa Boogie world and just want to represent proper..
Looking forward to many years with this forum and with my Boogie's.

24tGz8P

All my “problems “ were fixed by a post on The Boogie Board. I found everything fixed itself as soon as I figured out this is a 4 ohm cabinet. Got rid of the weird slap back reverb I was hearing. Bottom end popped back out and it super sensitive to every little tweak that I did on my amp.
Now to figure out if I should use a Blonde Mesa 212 or an Orange 212. Brother have Vintage 30’s in them but jus on memory, the Orange has not bottom to it.
I hope this post will help someone who has the Early 80’s Halfback. It was absolutely maddening till I find answer on Boogie Board.
Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back