Electrolytic Caps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lions

Reaction score
I know about the big caps, but what do the smaller electrolytics do on a Mark amp? I've got replacements for the big caps on my Mark III but not these, what effect would replacing them have on the sound? I've heard before and afters with the big ones and it was a noticeable change.

kmHCAAd.png

The smaller electrolytics are mostly in parallel to the cathode resistors on the preamp stages. They increase gain. Unless they are faulty you will probably not notice much of a difference between one electrolytic and another.

Cheers Stephan

Those ones you have circled are for the various low voltage supplies. They are filter caps for bias, eq supply and vactrol voltage supply...

I think there are 2 in the bias supply (50u/75v?) that you should replace as long as you're replacing the filter caps.

Don said:
I think there are 2 in the bias supply (50u/75v?) that you should replace as long as you're replacing the filter caps.

Should as in, they need replacing with the filters? I've sent my amp off for the III+ mod & big filter cap replacement now so it's a bit late for that now. :lol:

Back