The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:41 am 
Mark II

Would anyone here who has access to such a thing be so kind as to post as clear, and as large, a photo as possible of the preamp board in a Mark IIC+?

I want it for reference. And because I want to see for myself how different, or similar, that preamp board is to that of a Mark IIB or IIA.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:52 am 
Mark II

It's a lot different! Mainly the LDR switching. It's why only the C board can be upgraded to a C+. Were you thinking from an upgrade point of view or just curious? You can turn a Mark IIB into a C+ (I think also a Mark IIA) but you need a C or C+ circuit board. Mesa ran out of those a while back.

I can send you some pictures though if you want of an RP-11A board? For reference the are loads of different C+ boards:

RP-10A - "Based in the style of the IIB with LDR's for switching instead of the one relay. Early production IIC PCB. It was changed somewhere in the mid range
to the RP-11 in mid to late 1983. The reason the RP-10 can be upgraded is the five LDR's. The rest of the
circuit Mike B. just does his magic on."

RP-11A - Simul-100 and 60 Watt Reverb
SP-11A - Simul-60-100 Watt. No Reverb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:01 pm 
Mark II

I wanted to know just how much might be involved if I were to consider reworking a IIB to a IIC+.

If it goes beyond minor changes and goes to full rework, that's not practical.

But with really good clear photos of a IIC+ board, I should be able to dupe the trace pattern well enough to be able to cook up my own board, which would go into my SOB chassis. (While retaining the original SOB boards and parts for full restorability to stock.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:54 am 
Mark II

Quote:
I wanted to know just how much might be involved if I were to consider reworking a IIB to a IIC+.

A lot! Main thing though is to replace the preamp board or make one up and get hold of a load of those optocouplers used (LDRs as they're also called). They are double sided PCBs so unless you get pics of one with components removed or both sides you're not going to be able to recreate it identically. I doubt anyone has that info out there! Not only that there's loads of wires going everywhere on the IIC+ and is a real pain to figure out. It's possible though I guess but you'd ideally need access to a IIC+ and take it apart (good luck finding someone who will let you do that!)

Regarding the SOB? You'd also need to get a PWR- 7-C1 or PWR -7D power board for that depending if 100W/Simul or 60W. On top of that I don't even know if the transformer is correct... could be possible though. You'd also need to source all the Push/Pull pots.

I just posted on another thread about finishing off my Mark III to IIC+ conversion. That's your best bet! Trust me. A LOT easier.

Fair play if you can cook up PCB boards. Have you seen the sloclones schematic? The PCB they drew up is completely off but the schematic is basically correct apart from Reverb and Lead share half a 12AX7 each of V3 and V4. Probably the best place to start!

I'll ask permission and see if I can send you over the IIC+ board pics a member on here sent me.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:33 pm 
Mark II

Two people have been kind enough to send me photos so far, and it appears that they're slightly different board variations, which makes it interesting!

I SUSPECTED that the board is double sided but wasn't sure. Well, even that's not a problem because I'm not exactly inexperienced in electronics. I've been repairing everything you can break for the last 30 odd years.

If I have only the component side layout and components, I can figure out what has to be on the back side, with some thought.

The harder part is starting from a photo of a populated board and creating trace artwork from it. With components in the way, and obscuring some important details.