Mark III w/broken "guide pins"/index pins on the power tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmaulz

Reaction score
Greetings! I recently purchased a no-stripe Mark III, and in preparation for shipping the seller informed me that the index pins (the plastic "pins" or guide keys in the center of all four 6L6 power tubes used to align the tube to the socket) are all broken. While I understand that the tubes will operate perfectly well, and the seller assures me that the tubes were handled properly, it seems odd that all four pins would be broken. The amp otherwise appears in great condition. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike.

To be on the safe side, I'd just buy new power tubes when the amp comes & use those.

+1. It is almost impossible to correctly insert tubes with a broken alignment pin, and if you do you could be in for disaster. I know because it happened to me one time - the guide pin broke while inserting the tube and I did not notice it until I had sparks flying when flipping the standby switch. Had to replace the tube socket afterwards, and that is not work that I like.

Merry Christmas to all,
Stephan

Ya, I agree with the above poster who said just buy new Power Tubes. It's better to do that anyway when you get a used amp. Unless they are already new. Just start fresh and right and eliminate any possible questions about performance. New Tubes all the way around position you to troubleshoot a lot more efficiently.

Back