Express 3/4 back cabinet for MkIII??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MkIII Renegade

Reaction score
I had been stalking various 2x12s for most of this year for my MkIII head, and finally got a great deal on a Recto 2x12 horizontal with V30s (first time for these speakers). It is of course a very nice and punchy cab, but the V30s definitely have some EQ differences in the upper range and give a more "crispy" high end than I am accustomed to. It matters less when I really crank it, but at comfortable recording volumes, I feel that a bit of the MkIII mojo is lost, and I don't quite sound as good as "me" based on my initial efforts.

I have always used Mark halfback cabs with c90s up top and EVM12Ls on the bottom, which are my my favorite cabs of all, bar none, although they are now mated to my Quad/2:90. I am having a little trouble warming up to the brittle, less phat top end of the V30s. I can see why they would appeal to down-tuned, mega-saturated Recto guys, but I like mid-late '80s hard rock to thrash tones, which the Mark cabs deliver flawlessly, although they are as heavy as a cement truck! :shock:

I am starting to wonder if I might not have been better off with the Express 3/4 back 2x12cab with C90s (bonus is that these are also more of a cosmetic match). Has anyone tried one of these with a Mark III? The 3/4 design should give plenty of chunk and slightly more open cleans than closed designs. Or any other thoughts on the best overall horizontal 2x12 (non V30) for the Mark III? Or perhaps a speaker swap in the Recto cab? Ringing cleans are very nice to have, although I am ultimately more of a loud player and like very tight bottom end for crunch and projection for towering leads.

I had similar issue with Recto 2x12 and Mk IV. At low volumes it sounded great but got stuck in the mids with loud volumes and did not like the upper mid spike. Half-back would be ideal cab for mark, but those are hard to find here. With my old Thiele the sound was much more balanced. Hence, the solution was to buy another Thiele and stack them.

Jimmu said:
I had similar issue with Recto 2x12 and Mk IV. At low volumes it sounded great but got stuck in the mids with loud volumes and did not like the upper mid spike. Half-back would be ideal cab for mark, but those are hard to find here. With my old Thiele the sound was much more balanced. Hence, the solution was to buy another Thiele and stack them.

Yep, I have a Thiele EVM12L cab to match my MkIV combo, and it is glorious since it is basically 1/2 of my favorite 4x12.

Like everything else, I guess Marks are also finicky with cabs!! I know Petrucci likes recto cabs for his Marks, but I'm not feelin' it.....

Latest posts

Back