New Mark II C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack s.

Reaction score
It's a 1984 60 watt Mark IIC+ graphic EQ combo. No reverb. It's in near-mint condition. Sounds awesome:) Worth the hype in my opinion.

XqArLge.jpg

What should I do as far as getting the amp serviced? I emailed the seller to ask if he thinks the original tubes need to be changed. He says the amp has barely been used so I'm inclined to keep them in. I'm under the impression that tubes don't generally go bad if left mostly unused. It sounds really nice as-is, so I'd prefer to leave it alone. It will need a cap job though at this point right?

If your powertubes are the STR415 and working, keep them, whatever you do, no tubes will sound as good.
For the preamptubes there are a lot of opinions.
You will definitely benefit for a cap replacement. Caps will dry out if they are not in use and the big ones in there are said to be good for ten years. Older than that they will degrade.

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice. I worry a bit about taking the amp to a tech, as those guys always seem to want to sell me tubes. I guess I can take it and just ask to only get the caps changed. Is it worth getting a tube tester and making sure they are all within spec? I don't have a sense of how hard that is to do. I would hate to have one blow. I know that can cause damage to the output transformer. That being said, if what the seller said was true they should be in good shape.

Just tell the tech not to replace the powertubes.
If they sound good, they work, simple as that.
Are they branded Mesa STR415?
FYI they are Sylvanias.

My tech has a full Audio Precision test suite, and shows me how well a matched pair/quad/sextet of output tubes is performing up to full rated output on the scope. Of all the Mk amps I've ever bought with original tubes, only one Sylvania 6L6 has ever needed replacing: that's probably out of more than fifty total. You could both see and hear it was in trouble, too, anyway.

Simple replacement is the least-resistance option of techs without full testing facilities, and in the old days when you could pick up a quartet of USA 6L6GCs for tuppence ha'penny or a couple of pints fresh goat milk, that was ok.

As tony777 observes, if they sound like they're working, and the amp is louder than the average bear, then there's no need to replace. Least of all with tubes that almost never sound as good as original Sylvanias.

tony777 said:
Just tell the tech not to replace the powertubes.
If they sound good, they work, simple as that.
Are they branded Mesa STR415?
FYI they are Sylvanias.

Yea, they are the STR 415s.

Wyzard said:
My tech has a full Audio Precision test suite, and shows me how well a matched pair/quad/sextet of output tubes is performing up to full rated output on the scope. Of all the Mk amps I've ever bought with original tubes, only one Sylvania 6L6 has ever needed replacing: that's probably out of more than fifty total. You could both see and hear it was in trouble, too, anyway.

Simple replacement is the least-resistance option of techs without full testing facilities, and in the old days when you could pick up a quartet of USA 6L6GCs for tuppence ha'penny or a couple of pints fresh goat milk, that was ok.

As tony777 observes, if they sound like they're working, and the amp is louder than the average bear, then there's no need to replace. Least of all with tubes that almost never sound as good as original Sylvanias.

Yeah, I really don't want to mess with it. It sounds really nice. I definitely prefer how it sounds compared to the newer Mesas I've played recently. The newer Mark series amps are great amps too though. I'd love to have a JP2C too for versatility:)

Wyzard said:

Yeah, the amp is incredibly loud, especially for a 1/12 combo.

Anyone on amp techs? I would prefer to take it to someone who has a lot of experience with Boogies. They are such complex amps. Maybe a cap change wouldn't be a big deal though.

Back