MK III Controls

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

John_not_Pet
Mark I

MK III Controls

Post by John_not_Pet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 pm

On paper, the controls on the Mark III seem REALLY complicated. Is it actually that bad in person?

gts
Mark IV
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Re: MK III Controls

Post by gts » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:29 pm

John_not_Pet wrote:On paper, the controls on the Mark III seem REALLY complicated. Is it actually that bad in person?
LOL
No not really. If you understand the cascading gain of the Mark series it's not all that hard to dial in what you're looking to get

tony777
Mark IV

Post by tony777 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 am

gts wrote:LOL
No not really. If you understand the cascading gain of the Mark series it's not all that hard to dial in what you're looking to get
Just as the quote. The biggest mistake non-Mesa players do when dialing or try to dial in a mesa is that the bass control is too high. On a mark series the rule is as this, the more gain the less bass. If you use a lot of gain, you can start with the bass on "0" and then raise it as much as you need until if starts to flub. The rest of the bass needed you add with the GEQ.
http://tonykareid.com

Mark IIC+ SGX, DRGX x2
Mark III black dot DRGX
Mark IV A DRGX
Mark V:25
Dual Rectifier Rev G, Recto preamp
Cabclone
Mesa amp switcher
4x12 Recto standard
1x12 Thiele cab.
Tons of Ibbies, what a habit.

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 am

gts wrote:
LOL

Just as the quote. The biggest mistake non-Mesa players do when dialing or try to dial in a mesa is that the bass control is too high. On a mark series the rule is as this, the more gain the less bass. If you use a lot of gain, you can start with the bass on "0" and then raise it as much as you need until if starts to flub. The rest of the bass needed you add with the GEQ.

_________________ I agree. Use ears, not eyes.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 am

It's pretty easy to search for great sounding settings online. I just went through a handfull or so settings and picked a couple that I really liked for various usages. Back in the pre-internet days these amps were a bit more of a hassle to deal with. It really isn't bad now though.

darkbluemurder
Mark II

Post by darkbluemurder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

Just as the quote. The biggest mistake non-Mesa players do when dialing or try to dial in a mesa is that the bass control is too high. On a mark series the rule is as this, the more gain the less bass. If you use a lot of gain, you can start with the bass on "0" and then raise it as much as you need until if starts to flub.
This.