Mark III vs Mark IV vs Mark V comparison video / poll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which sounds best?

• Mark IIc+ mode

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Mark III

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Mark IV

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mark V

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

thrasher10000

Reaction score
Just posted this video comparison, was experimenting to decide which combination I want to use in a mix but figure this might be useful for others that may want to know the tonal differences. Vote in the poll if you like and aid my decision, I find them all to be great in different ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQNZu68kJR0&feature=youtu.be

I had a really tough time deciding whether to choose the Mark III or Mark IV. I went with the Mark III for it's cool vintagey crunch though.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback! The Mark III is probably my favourite for the in room sound, just a bit more open sounding than the IV

Difficult to judge what an amp sounds like in person through a video, but based on yours, I'd have to go with the IV. It looks like you had more mids scooped out of the MkIII graphic than the others, which doesn't help it at all. I keep mine close to the center line. The MkV was definitely last place to me in your vid, haven't played one in person though.

In real life, I know I prefer my III+ (started life as No Stripe) over my IV. My III is extremely adept at A/B comparisons in person. :mrgreen: And my Quad/2:90 is the Werewolf version of my III. :shock:

They all sound awesome and distinctly Boogie. I'm gonna try and cop the Mark IV settings. Hard to see some of the numbers but I'll give it a go. I rarely use the GEQ live unless I'm playing a Metallica tune or some other hair 80s song. Good demo!

I liked the IIC+ mode best, followed closely by the III. Nice comparison!

For the mark III I had the middle slider sitting just above the bottom guide line, so scooped but not an extreme scoop. Interestingly the Mark IV I had the middle slider bottomed out and found it still had more mids than the original black album guitars, so they must have used extra eq to pull more mids out.

I'll try your suggestion of bumping them up a bit more on the III though.

I actually really love the Mark V Extreme mode, has incredible articulation and detail, to me it sounds more 3D when recorded than some of the older ones.

MkIII Renegade said:
Difficult to judge what an amp sounds like in person through a video, but based on yours, I'd have to go with the IV. It looks like you had more mids scooped out of the MkIII graphic than the others, which doesn't help it at all. I keep mine close to the center line. The MkV was definitely last place to me in your vid, haven't played one in person though.

In real life, I know I prefer my III+ (started life as No Stripe) over my IV. My III is extremely adept at A/B comparisons in person. :mrgreen: And my Quad/2:90 is the Werewolf version of my III. :shock:

Thanks man! Yeah I really do struggle to pick a favourite, Boogie can do no wrong apparently. The IV settings are not actually the ones displayed in the picture. If you still want them let me know and I'll dig out the reference images I took at the time.

jediguitarist said:
They all sound awesome and distinctly Boogie. I'm gonna try and cop the Mark IV settings. Hard to see some of the numbers but I'll give it a go. I rarely use the GEQ live unless I'm playing a Metallica tune or some other hair 80s song. Good demo!

Cheers! Glad you dug the IIc+ mode. I've got a NOS at7 tube on the way due to the suggestions here, very interested to see if that gets it even closer to the original.

Snottyboy said:
I liked the IIC+ mode best, followed closely by the III. Nice comparison!

Back