What Mark Series Amps Require NOS Output Tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jack s. said:
I know the Mark IIC+ amps with the 105 PT require NOS tubes. Do any other Boogie's require NOS glass?

I wouldn't say they require NOS power tubes but they run a little sweeter and sound better with the old (Mesa re-labeled) Sylvania power tubes.
Especially Simul-Class amps using STR-416's / Sylvania EL-34's!
I don't think there was a better made or sounding tube for the outer two slots for running in Class-A than the Sylvania's.

gts said:
jack s. said:
I know the Mark IIC+ amps with the 105 PT require NOS tubes. Do any other Boogie's require NOS glass?

I wouldn't say they require NOS power tubes but they run a little sweeter and sound better with the old (Mesa re-labeled) Sylvania power tubes.
I don't think there was a better made or sounding tube for the outer two slots for running in Class-A than the Sylvania's.

Ok gotcha. Do they burn through modern tubes faster?

jack s. said:
gts said:
jack s. said:

Ok gotcha. Do they burn through modern tubes faster?

Old Sylvanias are a 10,000 hour tube. As for current fair sure they are rated for less hours but I don't know the specs. Any will do the job for a fair amount of time. If you buy from Mesa they should have info on their website for what tube to use with what amp. Most of their tubes are relabeled. Not sure what mfg they are using these days for their tubes.

For my Mark III with 105PT I was cautioned not to go with any of the current Mesa tubes because the voltages are higher and they don't last under that strain. I was recommended 5881s, NOS Sylvanias, or TAD 6L6s. I bet other new tubes would work fine as well, you just want to work with your supplier and make sure they know about the special requirement.

What those guys said. I was also told (by someone I hold in very high regard) that the only current Mesa tube that'll stand up to the 105 PT (500+PV) is the STR 5881. Alternatively use the TAD 6L6, which is what I'm using now & am happy. The Tube Store got them to me relative to the Mesa color I wanted (Red for the Class A slots & green for the A/B slots) and shipping was fast.

If you're not using the 105 PT or one of the Coli PTs that are running really high PV, this doesn't matter.

The old Sylvanias DO sound the best but it's an expensive habit.
My IIC++ running Sylvania 6CA7 in class A- https://youtu.be/T8XI4fE46qk
My IIC++ running the TADs- https://youtu.be/SYWQkgi58go

I use Tung Sol 6l6's in my HR's without any problems. The only modern tube that has given me trouble in the HR's are Groove Tube CHP's. They sound awesome until the fuse blows. I have New Sensor Svetlana EL34's and 6l6's in my DR.

Back