Boost Pedals in Effects Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack s.

Reaction score
I'm in a really loud band where I need to boost my guitar's volume pretty heavily for solos. I also would ideally like to boost mids a little when I'm taking leads. How good are the effects loops in the various Mark series amps for doing this if I were to put a boost pedal in them? Would the Mesa Graphic EQ pedal work for this? Does it have enough gain for a serious volume boost? If you could let me know what specific mark you are using a boost with that would be great. I'm primarily interested in the higher gain mark amps (Mark IIC+ and later). Can it cause damage to the amp if the pedal becomes unplugged by accident? I'd also be putting a delay pedal in the loop. Thanks in advance,

-Jack

For loud gigs when I need to get over everything for a solo I use an MXR microamp in the loop of my MK3. It's a true volume boost for solos rather than just more gain. Very effective trick if running in full 75w mode. Not had any problems. Id try to avoid cutting the loop signal,but it should not do any damage to the amp as long as the speakers remain connected.

I have rack fx for delay, etc. and add the MXR microamp just before the fx return and after the delays, etc. if I'm volume boosting with it.

I also have a Mesa 2x12 half back vertical cab I can use if I know my combo is going to get crowded by lots of watts from others. Opens up the sound.

If the boogie has a built in EQ you can also set the sliders to positive positions to act as a switchable boost too if you have the EQ footswitch. I assume that the Mesa EQ pedal can do same in the loop.

With a multichannel mk4 or 5 you get more channel level control and can have a great crunch set and then a louder lead channel. So you might not need any of this with the right amp. If I could afford it I'd get a MK5. MK3 and 4's are getting old and often need care and maintainance these days.

Not used the MK2 to comment.

Promethean said:
For loud gigs when I need to get over everything for a solo I use an MXR microamp in the loop of my MK3. It's a true volume boost for solos rather than just more gain. Very effective trick if running in full 75w mode. Not had any problems. Id try to avoid cutting the loop signal,but it should not do any damage to the amp as long as the speakers remain connected.

I have rack fx for delay, etc. and add the MXR microamp just before the fx return and after the delays, etc. if I'm volume boosting with it.

I also have a Mesa 2x12 half back vertical cab I can use if I know my combo is going to get crowded by lots of watts from others. Opens up the sound.

If the boogie has a built in EQ you can also set the sliders to positive positions to act as a switchable boost too if you have the EQ footswitch. I assume that the Mesa EQ pedal can do same in the loop.

With a multichannel mk4 or 5 you get more channel level control and can have a great crunch set and then a louder lead channel. So you might not need any of this with the right amp. If I could afford it I'd get a MK5. MK3 and 4's are getting old and often need care and maintainance these days.

Not used the MK2 to comment.

Ok thanks:) Yeah I was thinking more in terms of the Mark IIC+ and Mark III because they don't have channel switching with independent eq between their channels. I was interested to know if you can do this with the Mark IV and Vs though anyways. It's good to know that the effects loop works on the Mark III though. I'm trying to decide if I should go with a used JP2C, a Mark IIC+ or a Mark III. I know the JP2C would be the practical choice, but I worry about the resale value plummetting when Mesa comes out with a new version of it. John Petrucci always seems to be coming out with "improved" versions of his signature gear haha. Bands come and go so fast, so I'm always concerned with losing money on resale value once the project is over. Amps take up a lot of space, so when the grass is greener and I want to buy more gear they tend to be the first things to go. I know what you mean about old amps though. I have three vintage amps and I've spent so much money over the years getting techs to fix them. I also have anxiety about one of them going down at a gig. That being said, I've played a ton of gigs on my vintage deluxe, and I've never had it go down at a gig (fingers crossed).

I played a Mark III 60 watt 1/12 combo with EQ at a music shop yesterday. I actually preferred the tone to that of the JP2C. I don't know if I can justify spending the additional money that the JP2C costs for just the features. This thing was LOUD for 60 watts too.

Anyone ever put a really mid-heavy pedal like a tubescreamer in the effects loop of a mark series amp to boost volume and mids for solos?

Also please let me know if any of you guys have had luck using other eq pedals in the loop. The Mesa one is expensive:( Something cheaper would be ideal.

Back