Mark iii blue stripe ultra scooped old metallica tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
This amp is a fucking beast! It really roars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aRsAp69JAE

Hi man,

Great demo. I like your Youtube videos of the Mark III. I am a new owner of a Mark III Blue Stripe (less than a week) and I'm trying to figure out a few things and I would be glad if you can share your experience in the below. I play mostly Metallica and I'm aiming of achieving the MOP type of sound:

1. Will the C90 mod (III+) help this amp? I know it will help reducing its general "brightness" but would it be beneficial for the Metallica sound, or actually it would be bad and better not do this mod?

2. What kind of preamp and poweramp tubes worked best for you, to achieve this sound? I tried a Tungsol in the V1 but the amp became more "trebbly" (more bright) so I put instead an RFT NOS in the V1 and Tungsols in V2 and V3 and the amp sounded much better, but I felt I lost the strong attack (when you play palm mutes for ex) maybe due to the RFT. Any recommendations? and do you have experience with the Mesaboogie tubes?

3. I currently use the amp with a Mesa 4x12 V30, I did some research and it seems the Marshall 1960 4x12 T75 speakers will sound much better for this type of Metallica sound. What's your feedback on this?

I also own an Engl Savage 120 (amazing amp as well, but not for Metallica type of sound) and a Randall Satan (this is a great amp for 7/8 string guitars, but I found out that the Mark III does an excellent job on low tunings, surprisingly to a point i'm thinking of selling the Randall!)

Thanks man, I look forward for any additional tips you can share with me, I am starting to fall in love with this amp!

Tony

tonyelbatal said:
Hi man,

Great demo. I like your Youtube videos of the Mark III. I am a new owner of a Mark III Blue Stripe (less than a week) and I'm trying to figure out a few things and I would be glad if you can share your experience in the below. I play mostly Metallica and I'm aiming of achieving the MOP type of sound:

1. Will the C90 mod (III+) help this amp? I know it will help reducing its general "brightness" but would it be beneficial for the Metallica sound, or actually it would be bad and better not do this mod?

2. What kind of preamp and poweramp tubes worked best for you, to achieve this sound? I tried a Tungsol in the V1 but the amp became more "trebbly" (more bright) so I put instead an RFT NOS in the V1 and Tungsols in V2 and V3 and the amp sounded much better, but I felt I lost the strong attack (when you play palm mutes for ex) maybe due to the RFT. Any recommendations? and do you have experience with the Mesaboogie tubes?

3. I currently use the amp with a Mesa 4x12 V30, I did some research and it seems the Marshall 1960 4x12 T75 speakers will sound much better for this type of Metallica sound. What's your feedback on this?

I also own an Engl Savage 120 (amazing amp as well, but not for Metallica type of sound) and a Randall Satan (this is a great amp for 7/8 string guitars, but I found out that the Mark III does an excellent job on low tunings, surprisingly to a point i'm thinking of selling the Randall!)

Thanks man, I look forward for any additional tips you can share with me, I am starting to fall in love with this amp!

Tony
Tsup Tony? Thx for ur kind words! I really love my blue stripe! To be honest I have thought a lot of times to have the mod done but since I am more than happy with my current tone, I dont think I lll have it done after all. A fellow friend from here has both a blue stripe and a mark IIC++ and he told me that the blue stripe sounds more aggressive. In fact, he gave me the permission to upload his clip on utube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oV-n0f-yMY

As far as the preamp tubes, I would go with a nice nos for v1 position. There are lots of of posts on mark III preamp tubes Im sure will find one that suits ur needs once reading some of the posts! I am currently using an old nos RCA dont really remember which model. Speaker wise, I see u have a 4x12 cab. Why dont u try mixing 2 v30s with 2T75s? the 75s are up to the justice album era. Finally dont forget that if you want to record u ll also need some parametric eq and some mics. Ideally a cheap dynamic with a more expensive ribbon one. Trust me, recording with real mics is a pain in the *** if you want to come close to the metallica studio tracks. In fact it's impossible. I have bought the two notes TORPEDO CAB and I have never looked back! My newest clips on utube are all recorded using the CAB. I hope I have covered some of your questions. Please feel free to ask whenever u feel like! Also, if you are on facebook - messenger you can add me
https://www.facebook.com/sotiris.athanasiou.988?ref=bookmarks

Hey man!

Glad to connect with you on Facebook. When you have some time, check the post I did on this forum, I posted several pictures from my "Blue Stripe" amp, you can see the stripe on the back, looks blue but as if someone has scribbled it. But inside the amp, it's written blue on one side which is weird. Not sure if that would tell anything, I sent these images to Mesa Boogie, hoping to hear back from them soon: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=39411&p=498216#p498216

Let me know what you think! Thanks bro!

Back