I bought a Mark IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
After a lot of prodding from GJgo, I bought a Mark IIC+ off Reverb (I mean, a LOT of prodding, he tracked the deal down, nagged me, and practically hit the 'buy' button). It was definitely way too good of a deal to pass up.

So I now own an SG (60 watt, graphic eq). It's a lovely amplifier.

First impressions: this is a really good amp. Not selling my Mark V, though. Now that I've added some AT7s to the V it's really earned my respect.

Second impressions: my poor Mark III. The III may be more aggressive but I can dial in reasonably high values on Vol 1 and Treble and still get a really good clean sound. On my blue stripe the clean channel gets dirtied up as soon as the treble gets over 5 or 6.

I'm keeping the IIC+, for sure. I like it more than the JP-2C I had. (I'm keeping the III as well, for sentimental reasons).

It's nice to have some sense of what the real deal is. AT THIS MOMENT I still think that the Mark V can be everything the IIC+ and offer more flexibility, but it's awfully nice to finally have one.

Now I have to be able to let go of it long enough to send back to Petaluma. This is going to be rough.

-Dan

Congrats! I was wondering when you would buy one. I have a Mark IIc DRG at Mesa now getting the c+ uprade and bright mod to make it like my HR's.

Congrats man! I was in the same boat as you for a loooong time. Always looking at auctions, always wondering, etc. Not knowing was literally driving me insane.

Glad you are enjoying it, I think I know which one you just bought, remember seeing the auction.

I just bought another C+, 1985, original, fully loaded DRG. Should be arriving next week. I'll post some updates but really am looking forward to hearing the difference between the simul-class and my 60/100 watt C+. I had a Mark IV way back when and really, really loved the simul-class.

Enjoy the new amp and keep us updated!

Best!

dlpasco said:
Second impressions: my poor Mark III. The III may be more aggressive but I can dial in reasonably high values on Vol 1 and Treble and still get a really good clean sound. On my blue stripe the clean channel gets dirtied up as soon as the treble gets over 5 or 6.

That was the main issue of all of the Mark III amps that I owned. When I got R2 to sound the way that I liked R1 was way too dirty. I'll just stick to the two channel Boogies from now on.

Congrats on the new amp. However, don't think you're done yet - after I got an HRGX, I lucked into a DRGX.

I've compared them to 120V 60W amps with and without GEQ on step-downs, and swapped them into each other's speakers to remove that source of difference. I've run Quad and Studio pre's into loads of different Mk power sections, and 295s as well. I've tried them into other speakers/cabs, with and without stuff in the loop.

They all have their own personalities, and I doubt I'll ever get tired of mucking about with them.

I can't wait to hear your impressions when you get it back all fresh & clean. :) You thought it was close-ish to your V, and IT HAD BAD CAPS!!

NC+D is a very special thing... and the journey is a big chunk of the fun.

Latest posts

Back