Mark 3 series.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio112

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking at a few different amps in the Mk 3 series;blk. stripe, grn. stripe, blue.....
I have owned Mk 1, 50 caliber +. Lonestar, Mk V. My favorite was the 50 caliber+. Mk 1 was great except, no control over clean and lead sounds.
These Mk 3 amps are all different, but one has 2 El84's and 2 6L6's. Does anyone know this amp and how it sounds, or possible problems? The sellers are all anxious to sell, under $1000. CAD each one. I don't need power just good tone with sustain where I can hang a note for as long as I want, and have some nice clean or slightly dirty rhythms.
My gut tells me to wait for a Mk V-35 head and separate bottom.
Thanks, and have a great day.

Thanks for the link; it was helpful. The days when they only made one amp, in Randall's garage were the great years. Amps are always chasing sounds that are really created by the players fingers and nuance with his guitar. Santana sounds like Santana on any amp; Hendrix was the same, although he had to work a bit harder. What I'm saying is, the amp is secondary.

The IIIs are going to be a lot more vintage & organic, the 5 variants are all going to be a lot more modern & compressed. That's going to be a much bigger difference than the subtle variations of the III stripes.

studio112 said:
Thanks for the link; it was helpful. The days when they only made one amp, in Randall's garage were the great years. Amps are always chasing sounds that are really created by the players fingers and nuance with his guitar. Santana sounds like Santana on any amp; Hendrix was the same, although he had to work a bit harder. What I'm saying is, the amp is secondary.
I don't know whether Santana sounds like Santana on any amp. Guitar amps are not hi-fi amplifiers like the ones you use for acoustic guitar or keyboards. They add flavor to the guitar sound.

What I'm saying is, the amp is secondary.

I disagree.

I don't know whether Santana sounds like Santana on any amp. Guitar amps are not hi-fi amplifiers like the ones you use for acoustic guitar or keyboards. They add flavor to the guitar sound.

I agree.

A+!

Listen to Santana, or Hendrix, playing on an acoustic guitar,(no amp), you will understand my point of their individual sound; the amp amplifies and adds color to that sound.

Back