Mark IIB courtesy outlet blew a tube and fuse

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night I had a Fender reverb unit plugged into the courtesy outlet of my Mark IIb. I had been doing a sound check, everything sounded fine during the check. I turned the reverb unit off, and immediately there was a pop and faint smell, the amp powered down and so did the reverb unit. When I looked behind the amp, one of the EL34s was bright hazy red.

One EL34 was blown. the fuse burned out.

Later I plugged the reverb unit back in and it worked fine.

It seems like it was just the tube: I replaced it and the fuse and everything seems to be working.

This is the first time I've set up this way; usually the reverb unit has its own plug on a surge strip, but last night it needed to be farther than it could reach to the strip. So this was the first time I used the courtesy outlet.

What I'm wondering is what would have caused this? The cause seemed to be cutting the power to the reverb unit plugged into the courtesy outlet.

I'm hesitant to experiment further because each attempt will cost me a tube.

Seriously doubt the courtesy outlet had anything to do with it,just a coincident.The tube blew and took out the fuse,as it should.If you really feel it had something to do with it,just dont use the outlet anymore.

Back