Mark IIC+ Original vs. Upgrade

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheocracyMatt

Reaction score
Hi All--
I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death here; I searched, but if there are a lot of similar threads I missed, feel free to delete and accept my apologies. I also read the IIC+ guide for dummies, of course.

I was just wondering if there's a generally-held opinion on upgraded IIC+s vs. stock ones. For example, is a great-condition IIC that was upgraded to C+ specs by Mike considered to be indistinguishable from an original (keeping in mind the variance from amp to amp, of course)? Or are there still differences that would make a stock, post 12500 serial more desirable? In other words, is a IIC upgraded to a C+ an ACTUAL C+, soup to nuts, or just the closest approximation that circuit will allow?

Thank you all for your wisdom and insight.

Cheers,
Matt

I'm no IIC+ expert, but everything I've read on the topic suggests that there's absolutely no intrinsic flaw in an upgraded amp compared to a factory one.

It's the same thing as far as the circuit board goes. However, the transformers on the upgrades will usually be smaller, resulting in a bit more sag, which some people really like for blues. For metal I prefer larger transformers.

This question always gets a great reaction from Mike Bendinelli at Mesa. You can hear him shaking his head over the phone.
Same amp. No difference. It's just people pay more for a non upgrade.
As stated the transformer is the only difference. I have an upgraded DRG with a 100 transformer. They started using 105 in the production C+'s
The 100 is similar to the export tranny in sag.

I've read all IIC+ are upgraded IICs, the only difference is what year Mike did the mod. :)

Regarding transformers- has anyone ever measured the various depths & corresponded that to the numbers? Looking at photos of various IIC & IIC+ 75 & 100w models it seems to me they're not all the same size. Is bigger better, or is the 105 the king even though it's not the biggest?

Elpelotero said:
It's the same thing as far as the circuit board goes. However, the transformers on the upgrades will usually be smaller, resulting in a bit more sag, which some people really like for blues. For metal I prefer larger transformers.

^This, 100%. It's just a matter of which transformers you prefer. The 105 PT has personally been my favorite, though I have been known to slave it into a Mesa Strategy 400 at times as well... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back