Classic Metallica Tones With My Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheocracyMatt

Reaction score
Hey Guys--
I thought this would be fun. Wanted to see how close I could get to three of the classic Metallica tones with my Mark IV head and an EQ in the loop. Same guitar and amp for all three; just changed speaker cabs and microphones. More info in the video description. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fcg9aV0TOQ

Matt

Nice. I am constantly amazed at the versatility of the Mark IV.

That was impressive!! That puppets tone was awesome, I'd say you nailed it. Closest I've ever heard.
I see some guys on you tube playing new Metallica songs with the old tones. Always entertaining to hear that. Good job!!

"Black Album" tone sounds by far the best here, particularly with the "Wishing Well" riff (imho). I think someone also said this in the YT comments, but I would love to hear a guitar only version of this clip.

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed. And I agree about the Mark IV. I love that thing...sometimes I think it's the best amp Mesa ever released. I know, I know, blasphemy, IIC+ and all. But there's something unique to the IV about that snarl.

Dror520 said:
Sounds Great!! Care to share your settings? Also, what cabinet and mics did you use?

Sure! Settings were pretty much as you see them in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrPE-Oa6aw

The only thing I changed from song to song was the amount of lead drive, and the graphic very slightly. Most changes were to the parametric EQ in the loop. I used EVH cabs for all three tones, as they're closer to the old Marshall cabs than my Mesa cabs are. However, neither of the EVH cab have the stock speakers in them. I put Vintage 30s in the one I used for the Black Album, and the other one has G12-75s (Puppets/Justice). I love my Mesa cab (used it in the Mark IV/JP-2C video), and I have some Marshall cabs as well, but the construction is better on those EVH cabs than on the current Marshalls: heavy duty, nice wood, not particle board. Like I imagine the older Marshall cabs were.

Anyway, so Black was the EVH Vintage 30 cab miked with a 57 and a 421. Justice was the EVH G12-75 cab miked with a 57 and a U87, and Puppets was the same as Justice with the addition of a TLM102. Puppets was tricky because James used passive pickups on that album, and I used the same guitar with EMG 57s for all of the clips, so it wasn't going to have the same upper-mid bark. But it was never going to be exact anyway, and the moral of the story is that the Mark IV rules. :mrgreen:

Thanks for watching!

Matt

I honestly don't remember. :-/
Not playing coy, I just adjusted it by ear for each tone and didn't record any settings. But it was a bit of boost with a shelf at 4.6k, a bit of a dip at 1.2k, and a little peaking boost at 120 cycles--just don't remember the amounts. Sorry! :(

Thanks,
Matt

Latest posts

Back