Mark IV (A): A question on volume and Loudness

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In another thread on the forum somebody was discussing the Master and Channel volume settings but the thread went dead so I opend a new one.

This is just me wondering about how "loud" other people play their Mark IVs.

In comparison from: Home use <=> Band practice

The guy in the other thread was talking bout Amp Master Volume above "4" how loud are his (R1 / R2 / Lead) individual channel volumes set up then ?

-Without blowing anybody´s head off-

On my Mark IV (Rev. A 1992) I always run my Master Volume on about 3 and my R1 (6) R2 (3) and Lead (2-5) depending on home use or bandroom.

Is it normal to have the R1 volume quite high in comparison to the LEAD volume to maintain an even volume level between the two of them ?

Other Lead Channel settings Gain (Pulled 7) Treble ( 7 ) Bass ( 1 ) Mid ( 4 ) LeadDrive (Pulled 6) channel Volume ( 2-5 ) Pesence ( 1.5 Pushed In)

EQ engaged almost classic V-shape.

For home use i get along with Master Volume about 3-ish and Lead Channel Volume 2 if i need it to be louder i just go Lead Channel Volume to 5-ish.

So what is it all about the AMP master volume hype ?

A Mesa Boogie user from Austria (...no not the one with the kangaroos) :)

My R1 channel volume is usually at a higher number than either R2 or lead. But, it is not way out of line - as it was in the other thread. if I correctly recall the other thread you are referencing, they were saying there was a huge difference in how they set the channel masters. That has not been my experience with the Mark IV. There is some difference, but not a huge difference.

Latest posts

Back