Mesa Boogie MKIII limited Edition resoration....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3d

Reaction score
Well..i got this nice MK3 today, limited edition no 050 out of 100, amp is in perfect condition, but the finish over the last 30 years on the hard wood really got it's toll and was totally Dull. The wicker grill was getting so dried up it was turning greyish...SO...took it appart...sanded the whole frame, removed the grill..and went to work. So this is where i'm at right now..:) Productive day. The oil finish is done..just need to properly dry...

The 2 things i can't seem to find missing..is naturally a knob slider on the EQ...Mesa Sells them..but does'tn ship internationnaly..AND..on the Top of the amp..it has those 4 plastic tube things...it's missing 2 where the screws go into the frame. If anyone knows where to get those..would really be appriciated.

First image is the amp as i received it..it looks good...but notice the bottom of the frame of the amp..you can see the kinda wear it had all over.

The Front grill is now replaced from the original one who was breaking almost just by touching it.

7551f11eb688f569999f49830cfebc98_zpsry9wqg8c.jpg

Where are you? I never realised mesa did limited edition mkIII's either.
The timber looks awesome, you've given it a great finish.
Personally I'd have left it as is, dull and all. But that's just me.

OryCheyne said:
Where are you? I never realised mesa did limited edition mkIII's either.
The timber looks awesome, you've given it a great finish.
Personally I'd have left it as is, dull and all. But that's just me.

I almost left it as it was..but having been stored in a damp closet for so long...the bottom of the cab started to have signs of rotting...And the wicker grill was the opposite..so dry..was afraid to even touch it. SO...having done this countless times...why not bring it back to it's 80's Glory..:)

Oh and i'm in Quebec/Canada.

DC3 Gridlock said:
Congrats. Nice work.

Like to see more pictures when it's complete.

oh i will..if i can find the 2 small parts MISSING that are driving me crazy..lol

It does look awesome now, if it was as poorer condition, then you really had no choice.
Nice save.
I was hoping you were were in Australia, so that maybe it might come on the market here one day. I'd be interested to know how many if any of the limited edition 3's were made for export. Anyone know?

OryCheyne said:
It does look awesome now, if it was as poorer condition, then you really had no choice.
Nice save.
I was hoping you were were in Australia, so that maybe it might come on the market here one day. I'd be interested to know how many if any of the limited edition 3's were made for export. Anyone know?

I was told only 100 were made...i found no 050...i finaly found all the missing little parts thanks to Trent at Mesa...

al3d said:
I was told only 100 were made...i found no 050...i finaly found all the missing little parts thanks to Trent at Mesa...

WHO told that ???
Give MESA a phone for veryfying if that brass badge is their original work ad tell us all about.
Might be interesting.......

megavoice said:
al3d said:

WHO told that ???
Give MESA a phone for veryfying if that brass badge is their original work ad tell us all about.

Former owner

megavoice said:
al3d said:

WHO told that ???

i sent them picts..its original, there was one sold on reverb not to long ago..identical but no 080, sold for 1700$

Authorized Boogie said:
Yes, the badge (and the rest) is authentic. Thanks!

thanks who ever you are...you would'nt have a bit more history on this edition by any chance?

Worked on the Speaker Baffle since it was a bit dry..reinforced it a tad and installed T-Nuts instead of wood screws to secure the speaker..

Are there any unique attributes of the amp, itself, for the special edition? I really don't remember them making this, but back in the day, news of special builds moved slowly. And if you didn't have a store to visit (basically, Hollywood or Petaluma) you didn't ever learn of it. My local dealers never knew what was going on.

kdorsey said:
Are there any unique attributes of the amp, itself, for the special edition? I really don't remember them making this, but back in the day, news of special builds moved slowly. And if you didn't have a store to visit (basically, Hollywood or Petaluma) you didn't ever learn of it. My local dealers never knew what was going on.

The amp seems pretty stock really.

The curled maple and the badge seem to be the only specials. All maple wood amps looked pretty boaring back in the days then........
Would like to see the back side for more knobs and functions.......???????

megavoice said:
The curled maple and the badge seem to be the only specials. All maple wood amps looked pretty boaring back in the days then........
Would like to see the back side for more knobs and functions.......???????

Nothing different...the same as any other MK3...

WOW, that looks great. I love seeing old guitars/amps returned to their glory. If you find anymore info on the limited edition please share.

Latest posts

Back