IIC+ Power Transformers 100 vs 105

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koadogg

Reaction score
I am curious. With the two power transformers used in the mark IIC+'s and their associated differences in B+, is there a noticeable difference in sound between the two? I am talking about the simul's here.

100-162318: 448V
105-162318: 483V

Also, as a side question, many say that after a Cap Job their amp sounds different. How so?

Thanks,
Scott

I'd also like to know if anyone has put these up against the x101 and - other differences aside - managed to draw any conclusions.

Both mine have the export PTs in them, running at 220-240V depending on where I am day to day; so I'm curious what folks think a 101 sounds like vs the others at 110-120V.

As to the cap job question, it's usually because the caps go bad slowly enough that you don't really notice the difference in tone from when you first got the amp. But when they are replaced and everything gets back to original spec, it will sound different. Usually tighter bass, crisper highs.

I owned an X101, 100 and 105 and had them all at the same time. The 100 seemed to be the most aggressive followed by the x101. The 105 was the smoothest. They all were great sounding though. I ended up keeping the 2C+ with the 100 transformer since it wasn't simulclass. I prefer non simul over simul. Note that all amps had a GEQ.

Had them all a hundred times over, including 5 of various configurations at once here to A/B. I ended up keeping a pair of Simul's with 105's, one a +, the other a ++.

Latest posts

Back