GEQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every once in a while I'll switch off the GEQ on my Mark amps. It's sounds...well, not that good. But if you continue to play for a while with it off, it starts to sound better because your ears get used to it. BUT, turn the GEQ back on and...WHOA!!!

lol I kinda liked the tone better without the GEQ in your vid. I'm sure in person I'd agree with you. With my amps I find that I can use extreme V settings at bedroom volumes. Then at practice volumes I bring the M shape with the mids up a bit. And then at hearing damage volumes the GEQ stops being as effective. I'll start with a flat eq at insane volumes and just bump a few sliders to get my sound. What a great idea to throw a GEQ on those amps back in the day. I'm kinda suprised more company's don't have some kind of GEQ. 8)

That's nice! What kind of guitar were you playing?

Thanks. That's my new old Steinberger that I put a new top on. It has most of the original electronics in it, SD hot rails in the neck and middle and I put a Jackson J50B in the bridge. I bought a SD Dimebucker for it but that pick up was way wrong. The Jackson sounds good, not great compared to the Tom Anderson H3+ that I have in the other Steinberger I have so I ordered another H3+ from TA.
The difference in tone with the built-in GEQ vs. the stomp box GEQ is incredible, I also did a video on that to inform other players who might be interested in the differences. I had practice with my good band yesterday, I play in several, and I had the most incredible fun feedback coming from the amp and clear detailed tone that there is no way to get at low practice level volume without the built-in GEQ. The way the built-in GEQ adds gain and scoops the mids can't be achieved any other way.

Latest posts

Back