Mark 2B lead channel really quiet.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi folks.So I took my mark IIB out to gig yesterday as I have been really enjoying it at home but the problems with this amp continue.I had my volume 1 at 8-9 and the master at 2-3 but I had to have the lead master way up at 7-8 to have it around the same level as the clean channel.What could cause this?I also get the feeling that the amp isn't as loud as it should be as with the master at 2-3 it wasn't really really loud and from all accounts these amps are loud?? It's been serviced and recapped/retubed but there's something going on with it.

What is your Lead Drive set to? Needs to be past 5, I use at least 7.

Check the preamp tubes, exchange positions and see if things change to find if there is a bad one. Check this on V3 first, used for lead drive.

As stated, check V3. I was installing my Mark IIC+ chassis into a combo cab and nicked the tip of the V3 tube.
No lead lead channel volume as a result. I replaced the tube and back in service.

Tried changing the preamp tubes but the lead drive volume is still a good bit quiter than the clean channel.
I was gigging with it yesterday.I had volume 1 at 8 and lead drive at 8 but had to have the lead master about 6 to balance them out even then the lead channel was not quite as loud as the clean channel?At bedroom volumes it's fine but at gigging levels with master volume at 2 the the lead master has to be way up loud to balance out the channel volumes.

Is the relay working satisfactorily ? Maybe its contact needs some cleaning (on my MKIIA the realy is openable)...

A+!

mark2boogie said:
Is the relay working satisfactorily ? Maybe its contact needs some cleaning (on my MKIIA the realy is openable)...

A+!
Yeah the relay is working fine.It's switching channels no problem.No delay in switching or any really loud pop or anything like that.Thanks.

+1 on the relay also - faulty relay in my old IIB caused volume drop on the lead channel (channel switching was unaffected, i.e. still noisy :)

zebpedersen said:
+1 on the relay also - faulty relay in my old IIB caused volume drop on the lead channel (channel switching was unaffected, i.e. still noisy :)
Really?Thanks.I thought if the relay was faulty it would only affect the channel switching side of things.I didn't think it could cause the lead master to become quiter.
By the way it's only noticable at higher volumes.At home it's fine but once the master is up around 2-3 then the lead master has to go way up to compete with the clean channel.
Were did you manage to source a replamenet for your IIB?
Do Mesa stock them?
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back