Newbie. Thank you! MkIIc+ Issues.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henz

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings! Thank You for accepting me. I have Tons! of questions. I'll just start off by asking, I have a MKIIc+. If I was to purchase a new Boogie, would the Road King Series give me what I'm seeking? Currently, I have to keep a Tube Screamer in front in order to get the tone I like. I have been thru tube trials, both pre and power,everything from biasing....etc. This 30 plus yr old amp has been beat up. Thanx for your time! :p Many questions to follow, if you don't mind. Sincerely

Henz said:
If I was to purchase a new Boogie, would the Road King Series give me what I'm seeking? Currently, I have to keep a Tube Screamer in front in order to get the tone I like.

What's the tone you like? Hard rock, metal, blues?

Thanx for the replies. The tones I like are Rock, Hard Rock leaning towards Metal. Examples of my fav tones wud be: John Sykes, S. Vai , Gary Moore ( Blues, I know.. 8) " Still Got The Blues Live" rips my face off. Many others. I agree. Having a pedal in front seems strange.Without it, the amp is way too boomy and thumpy, somethings missing. There has always been an inconsistency issue with this amp thru the yrs. I could have my tone one day and not touch a thing and the next day its gone. I wud try tube manipulation, this that and the other, only to be frustrated. I even talked with Mike Bendinelli for 30 mins one day asking him what I can change in circuit. I will try to explain more if and when replies come. Oh, I use Les Pauls and Ibanez w/ EMG's. A Boss EQ and Rocktron Intellifex in loop. ( yes, I'm double eq ing.) The amp has eq , and Simul Class. I slave it to a 2:90 amp. One output (4ohm) from amp goes to a 2/12 cab. 2:90 goes to 4/12 Recto cab ( one side). Thanx for your time. James

The bass pot set too high would be my guess as well. I have a Mark III which is not terribly different than the Mark IIC+ and it definitely doesn't need an overdrive pedal if it's set right. It has more gain than any amp I've ever played, and it's sharp/tight. No "boom" too it, unless you want it.

Thanx for the replies. I keep my bass pot on 0. Sometimes pulled out to shift. The last few days I pushed it in and have been messing with the eq settings on both units. On head, I have the 80 almost fully up, the 240 almost fully down,750 flexible as with the 2k and 6k, tho I backed off on the 6k a little. The eq in loop: 100 is up as well as 200 . Other frequ. trimmed almost matching head. The 240 on head is so sensitive.Any "little" change I do alters tone. My gain on head is around 5. Tube S drive is cranked all the way. Maybe Im just so used to having the TS in front. I have bypassed it many times and pissed w/ eq settings. Ending up always going back to TS. Thanx for ur time. I'll figure it out one day. Tho I had this amp for 30 yrs lol. Blessings too all. James

Henz said:
Tube S drive is cranked all the way.
:shock:

Ear fatigue can be troublesome for me sometimes. Or ear hangover. I would lock the ts up for a few weeks and just spend some quality time with the amp. If you don't find what you're looking for after that, then maybe that amp just isn't for you.

Thanx for the reply. I had this amp for a long time. I will try your suggestion. The TS will come back , I know it. Gosh, It sounds like we are talkn bout a woman! :lol: . I just want an amp that will deliver what I want. Just guitar and amp then gadgets later. Thanks, James

Pretty extreme settings you use. What speakers/cabinet are you using?
Could be dry caps though, but I suspect your settings.

Try this?
Volume 1: 7
Treble 8 (pulled)
Bass 1-2
Middle 8
Master: whatever, but pull.
Lead drive 8
Lead master: 3 (pulled)
Prescence 4
Raise 80 Hz and 6600 Hz slider to taste and drop the 750 until the honk goes away.
This should get you a very good crunch sound, and nothing is needed up front or in the loop.
If this sounds terrible something is very wrong.

Thanx for your reply.That is almost exactly my settings. But I have always had my eq in loop. My lead drive is down a bit to 5, probably due to TS in frnt. I use Celestion V 30's and Eminence- EV's. I modified my Rect. cab. 2 Ev's on top: 2 Vint 30 on bottom but only using 1 side of cab from 2:90. Other cab is home made, open half back, 2/12 w/ Eminence slaved from head. This is used in a 12x12 ft studio room. When I giged, settings were obviously different. Thanx for ur time. Everyones input is appreciated! James

Ok, then without hearing how it sounds, your setup shuld be awesome. Two things I suspect then is preamptubes and filtercaps. Preamptubes are easy to replace, filtercaps is for the skilled. Maybe a trip to Petaluma and a full service would be a good idea.

Thanx for your reply. Over the yrs I fiddled and farted around w/ pre tubes.Different brands and such. A good pre tube is hard to find. It says that the most important one is the V1. I agree but the others, imo, are just as important.I have a spax7 in V1 and Wurlitzers in V3 and 4 and a ElectroHm in V2. Dont failing F caps cause a shitty harmonic and 60 cycle hum? This amp has been to Petaluma a few times. Honestly, I like what I am hearing which wonders y i started this thread. I wud like a good tune up. That TS gives me that extra "umph" if ya know what I mean. I'm sure u do. Hey, u mentioned a "dry cap". What does that mean and the symptons? Was u referring to the F caps? If u was to look inside this amp u wud say OMG! its really chewed up. Preamp board caught fire while on stand by. Many others. Any way, thanx for ur time and help. Hope to hear from ya. James.

Latest posts

Back