The cheapest IIC+ I can afford

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salem Sloth

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’ve found an ‘84 IIC+ (100 Watt, reverb, export PT, neither GEQ nor Simul-Class: HRX, right?) for 1700 € (about 1900 $). No chance to try it personally, although I would send someone to check at least if the amp works properly. Maybe he could also take a brief clip, but I don’t think that this will help me to decide. So, what should I do?

Thanks.

I’m kinda afraid to ask it: is there any hope to bridge the gap with an eq in the fx loop?
On the contrary, do you think that a Quad with a 2:90, 395 or Strategy 500 could be closer to the real deal? I can get the Quad for 800 $, 395 and Strategy for 1k, or a 2:90 for 700 $. I’ve previously had both the Mark IV and the V, but they lacked something. I know that a Red Stripe III should be a good IIC+ mimicker, but can’t find one in the EU. Would the rack be a better solution?

Well, I can`t tell for the C+ if needed or not, but for my REDs I almost never use my EQs, only for very special sounds, like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" i.ex., or switching between "solo playing" and "rythm playing", the EQ is set all sliders a bit upwards.
(Both amps are simul class)

In general just out of my experience the EQ may be very well needed when playing low leveled,.... louder and very loud playing EQ is obsolete, unless you need a very special sound for your own taste.

I would definitely need the external eq, as with the IV and V, I had the GEQ permanently engaged, ‘cause I prefer a more refined sound. But will an external eq do the job? BTW, I got a rack unit, the old Boss GE-131. With that said, is there any difference in the amount of gain between HR and HRG? Sorry to pester you guys, I really appreciate all of your inputs.

Markedman said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy it without the GEQ. Think about it, every Mark 3, 4 & 5 have the EQ it is so important.

Not quite true.... Plenty of MKIII's out that there made without EQ.

Mesa's EQ stomp box supposedly is right on target/ spec with their built in EQ
I suspect putting one in the effects loop would work decently.

Their EQ pedal being used with Mark amps without EQ has discussed a few times; try searching for threads on the subject.

I stopped using the EQ on my Quad. I've got that NOFX Punk in Drublic tone dialed in, and now the eq seems to take away more than it gives.

If you are looking for a cheaper Mark IIC+, the Quad and the 50/50 combo are pretty darned close, and that's coming from Mike Bendinelli. My rig cost me $800.00 USD, not including the cabs.

I’ve just found a discussion where the person in charge at Mesa wrote:
“The EQ is the same as is used in all of our classic amp designs - meaning, it uses the full-size components - slider potentiometers, inductors, etc. [...] When used in the loop it acts more like our built-in 5-band EQ.”
So I could try with my 31-band Boss, and use it until I got some more money for the Mesa pedal. Otherwise, what about a parametric eq, like the Empress ParaEq? It costs slightly more than the Mesa, but I think it should be more flexible too.

None of you would lean toward the Quad + Strategy 500 scenario? I’m sure that a 50/50 must be fine, yet at the same time I’m obsessed with the biggest power transformers, I crave that 105 so badly... Therefore, if the HRX should sounds atrociously, I would like to go for the loudest power amp of them all, even if I just have to do home recording (in my defence, I got a Clearsonic AmpPac 51)... :oops:

Salem Sloth said:
I’ve just found a discussion where the person in charge at Mesa wrote:
“The EQ is the same as is used in all of our classic amp designs - meaning, it uses the full-size components - slider potentiometers, inductors, etc. [...] When used in the loop it acts more like our built-in 5-band EQ.”
So I could try with my 31-band Boss, and use it until I got some more money for the Mesa pedal. Otherwise, what about a parametric eq, like the Empress ParaEq? It costs slightly more than the Mesa, but I think it should be more flexible too.

None of you would lean toward the Quad + Strategy 500 scenario? I’m sure that a 50/50 must be fine, yet at the same time I’m obsessed with the biggest power transformers, I crave that 105 so badly... Therefore, if the HRX should sounds atrociously, I would like to go for the loudest power amp of them all, even if I just have to do home recording (in my defence, I got a Clearsonic AmpPac 51)... :oops:
Well, IMO you should wait till u find a red - blue mk3. I live in Athens, Greece and I bought mine from Italy. I asked for some video demonstrations and clips :) I'm sure you will eventually find a mk3 in EU. Another solution would be to get the quad - studio preamp + 50/50. I also own a quad and it's really awesome.

sotosprince said:
Well, IMO you should wait till u find a red - blue mk3. I live in Athens, Greece and I bought mine from Italy. I asked for some video demonstrations and clips :) I'm sure you will eventually find a mk3 in EU. Another solution would be to get the quad - studio preamp + 50/50. I also own a quad and it's really awesome.

I’m from Italy, and here on the used market there are many Blue and Green, even some Black (which was on my radar because of the possibility to get a 105 PT on that model, but when I asked for some pics of the transformer, the seller disappeared). No Red anywhere. As for the Blue (and Green too, ‘cause IIRC they’re pretty much the same), I find it too sharp and bright, I‘d rather prefer a smoother tone.

Anyway, I think I’ll send a friend of mine to check that IIC+, I mean, even from a crappy cell phone, I should understand at least if there’s enough gain, and if not so, then I’ll think about the alternatives. If you don’t mind, I will let you know. Thank you all.

Salem Sloth said:
sotosprince said:

I’m from Italy, and here on the used market there are many Blue and Green, even some Black (which was on my radar because of the possibility to get a 105 PT on that model, but when I asked for some pics of the transformer, the seller disappeared). No Red anywhere. As for the Blue (and Green too, ‘cause IIRC they’re pretty much the same), I find it too sharp and bright, I‘d rather prefer a smoother tone.

Anyway, I think I’ll send a friend of mine to check that IIC+, I mean, even from a crappy cell phone, I should understand at least if there’s enough gain, and if not so, then I’ll think about the alternatives. If you don’t mind, I will let you know. Thank you all.
The same person u r talking about sent me some clips last June. He is the one from Southern Italy, isn't he? I really liked the tones, and the price is quite fair if u ask me...

sotosprince said:
The same person u r talking about sent me some clips last June. He is the one from Southern Italy, isn't he? I really liked the tones, and the price is quite fair if u ask me...

Unless he has recently moved to north, we’re talking about two different persons, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/hc3d6r7
Yet there is someone who’s selling a fully loaded IIC+ in Southern Italy, but the price is quite high: http://tinyurl.com/zxc9vqd

I recently bought a Red Stripe Mark iii with no eq, unfortunately. So, I acquired an MXR 10 band EQ pedal and run it through the effects loop and MY GOODNESS it makes that amp come alive! Best amp I have ever owned and I CURRENTLY have two Tremoverbs (94 and 98) and a Dual Rec Solo Head and I have owned 5 other Mesa's before that. This is an AMAZING Amp!

You don't need an EQ. It is nice to have sure. But the amp isn't garbage without it.
I've owned a C+ in that exact configuration and it was a fantastic amp. Nothing beats a C+. A Mark III is not the same.
Mesa makes a 5 band EQ pedal that will work just fine or MXR for that matter.

1900 US is a good price for that amp.

DaveP said:
You don't need an EQ. It is nice to have sure. But the amp isn't garbage without it.
I've owned a C+ in that exact configuration and it was a fantastic amp. Nothing beats a C+. A Mark III is not the same.
Mesa makes a 5 band EQ pedal that will work just fine or MXR for that matter.

1900 US is a good price for that amp.

+1

Hey guys, you probably don’t give a **** about it, but long story short: that HRX IIC+ had already been sold before I was able to buy it, then I found another one, 60 W GEQ IIC upgraded to + by Mike Bendinelli himself, but the seller was so hesitant that one day he wanted to keep it, and the next morning he called me back to say he changed his mind... Meanwhile, I went on eBay, found something else, bought it in no time. No regrets. Here it is, 1985 Mark III, 105 tranny, Simul Class, GEQ, hot rodded to ++ by MB: http://tinyurl.com/hof7akm

My old girl! She was great but if it doesn't see the stage or practice, it has to go! ****, I had a hard time letting that amp go, it was a real ripper, rarely did I have the gain above 5 it was so snotty, but I'm happy someone will love and use it. I would love to play it with the ++ but chances are I don't live close enough. Enjoy!
Here she is with some friends, most of which are dearly departed to make room for Mr. JP2C.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/16938025205/in/dateposted-public/

Markedman said:
My old girl! She was great but if it doesn't see the stage or practice, it has to go! ****, I had a hard time letting that amp go, it was a real ripper, rarely did I have the gain above 5 it was so snotty, but I'm happy someone will love and use it. I would love to play it with the ++ but chances are I don't live close enough. Enjoy!
Here she is with some friends, most of which are dearly departed to make room for Mr. JP2C.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/16938025205/in/dateposted-public/
Whoa! Have you sold this to glip22? However, she’s in great shape, thank you for being so kind to her. Sooner or later I will post some clips, so at least you’ll be able to hear the difference after the ++ mod. Anyway, this is hands down the best amp I’ve ever had, I’ll never let her go!

I also said I'd never sell it. I had a real hard time letting that one and the 72 Marshall super lead go. As you can see in the pictures I also had a Mark three blue stripe along with the studio preamp Simul-stereo 295 set up. I posted a bunch of YouTube videos comparing them along with Mark llC+. I contemplated buying the amp back after the mod but I have a JP2C coming, hopefully this week. Definately the Mark lll amps are the best value out there. Btw, I paid $450 for it off of eBay when I bought it!

Latest posts

Back