Mark 2B Effects loop issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I've read of the problems associated with the effects loop in the 2B and the effects loop Mod but I thought the issues were only with the Reverb equipped amps and the lead channel?
My 2B,Non Reverb/Eq sounds terrible with my delay pedal through the loop.The delay repeats are distorted with a noisy mushy sound.This is on the clean channel.Plug the delay into the front end of the amp and it sounds fine but then I can't use the lead channel and that's one of my favourite things about the Boogie is the preamp overdrive!
I love my delays and almost always have one on.Delay is a Boss DD3.
Is this description typical of the loop "problem" or is something else going on here?
Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm not having much luck with this amp at all.

Well, the Fx Loop of the MKIIB is known to sometimes deliver too much signal for a guitar-level (-10dBm) effect. So your problem of overloading your Boss DD3 may be not a surprise. I solved that problem with my custom-made "MKIIA-LATOR" adaptor to be used with my MKIIA, which can correct the signal level (additional attenuator + gain recovery stage, solid-state, battery-powered, external box). You can also find such a device as a commercial product (ready to play or kit) at Ceriatone ( hence : C-LATOR, Klein-U-LATOR...)

A+!

Thanks mark2boogie.
Man that's a pain in the a**.Quite an expensive bit of kit just so I can use a delay pedal with the amp and more gear to carry too.I'm gonna have to look at just using this as a clean amp with pedals for overdrive I think.What a pitty.

Would an option be to use a rack type delay unit with an input level?I wonder if this would help?

MK IIB said:
Would an option be to use a rack type delay unit with an input level?I wonder if this would help?

Yes, it could be a solution, as rack effects can be switched to line level (+4dBm) usually, but you need to make a test with your amp to be sure before investing...

This morning, I finished my MKIIA-LATOR and tested it fully OK with my Boogie MKIIA with Delay, Reverb, Phasor and Chorus guitar stompboxes.

In a few days, I will be able to present that release in a detailled topic, for those are interested to built one.

A+!

I'd definitely be interested to hear about it.
I take it there isn't a simple solution such as changing the value of a resistor or something so the loop will accomodate a guitar level signal?
I tried a different tube in the effects loop position just incase but it didn't help.
The delay repeats are really distrorted and mushy sounding.Also when switching to lead mode the delay is barley noticable it's as though the level has been turned right down.You can just barley hear it?
I've been playing through my Mark IIB all day today and I just couldn't put my guitar down.It sounded and felt glorious and this is at bedroom levels.
The clean channel on this amp is fantastic as far as I'm concerned.I'm experimenting with little changes in settings for different tones.
Today I tried middle at 10, bass at 0,treble at 8/9 presence at 3 and it had a really thick clean tone.With volume 1 at 10 it had a lovely slight broken up sound with a strat.
I just wish I could use my delay pedal with it.
Anyway look forward to hearing about your "MKIIA-LATOR" and how much it will cost etc.
Thank you my friend.

You can try a G-lab SA-1 signal adapter or their ALA-1 loop adapter. I got an SA-1 for my MKIIA and it works great. My loop is way hot compared to studio or effects loops. Not expensive.

Will be interested to see mark2boogie comes up with.

Yes, as b100g13mk2b states it, the G-Lab SA-1 should do the job very fine on your amp, MKIIB.

I didn't knew the existence of this device, so that's the reason why I developed mine... Otherwise I would have bought a SA-1 for the low cost it is sold : at 56 euros here in France, via Thomann.de.

Do not hesitate !

My MKIIA-LATOR is a bit more complete, since it has an input buffer instead of just an attenuator pot. The plus is the Hi-Z input and the Lo-Z output, useful to avoid losses in the cables going to the effects, that a simple pot pad can't do. It is also powered on 18V for more headroom and increased signal attenuation and recovery.

I am waiting now for the engraved plates to put on the box to be make, in order to present the finished device... Wait and See !

A+!

I bought a C-Lator recently. It works very well, appears to have greater headroom and recovery than my Glabs SA-1. One big difference is the C-lator is not exactly flat response with some settings. I think that is a plus from my experience so far. I find using the brightness switch on the output side adds something nice, not too much. Much easier to adjust the output volume in a usable range with the larger knobs on the front. Still working with the various levels and the MKIIA Presence control. I find there is a lot of range with Presence that is good to use with different speakers, effects and guitars as related to high end, very interactive with other things in the signal path.

Some may like a completely flat response and ease of use with the SA-1 and the MKIIA-LATOR mark2boogie did a lot of work on his amp to reduce noise and get a smooth taper on the main volume. No need to get in the way of that good result.

Maybe a simple volume attenuator in front of the delay pedal could help:

b33251eab2b9ed39c9e1d392edf99a92.jpg

Also people used delay in the front of their amps before FX loops. Eddie Van Halen, Alex Lifeson, Andy Summers etc all put their echo in front of the preamp. Although these were analogue effects like the Echoplex.

Latest posts

Back