Mark of the Legion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salem Sloth

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First of all, let me apologize for the subject, it means nothing but I lack concision, and I like Boogie Marks, and Deeds of Flesh (http://tinyurl.com/gog8uql). :|

I’m just a 31 year old italian noob, my english skills are not the best ones ever, so please forgive the poorness of my vocabulary.

Well, I’m looking for some suggestions to make the right decision on which one will be my next amp. I’ve been a proud Mesa owner for the last eleven years, bought a Mark IV in 2005, then sold it to get the upgrade in 2009, when I bought the Mark V that I’ve just sold a couple days ago, in order to prevent a drop in its value before the JP-2C release, and because I was using only two modes out of nine.

I’m not going to order the JP-2C, because I cannot afford it (3800 € in the EU), and even if I could, I wouldn’t go through several months of wait. Moreover, although I think it’s a cool amp, I have a feeling that this thing is like a Quad with a non-Simul IIC+ power amp stacked in one package. IIRC, the Quad boasts the preamp sections of a IIC+ and a Mark III. The JP-2C is a IIC+ with that Shred mode, which is supposed to be like a Triaxis’ Lead 2 Red (quoting the manual: “LD 2 RED - This mode is made for shred. In fact, it might be better named LEAD 2 Shred. It is much more aggressive in the top end than its’ yellow counterpart, boasting much enhanced upper harmonics.”), and that mode is based on a “Searing Mk III LD”.

At this point, you may reply something like “Thanks, Captain Obvious!”, and I would understand it, but I was wondering... Taking a no stripe Mark III (AFAIK, those models got the infamous 105 transformer, correct me if I’m wrong) and a Studio Preamp (that I believe is basically a IIC+ preamp... or is it a Studio Caliber preamp?), could I obtain a sort of abnormal Frankenstein’s creature that will be close enough to the JP-2C, but also with Simul-Class? I have the chance to choose between a green stripe and a no stripe. As I’ve read that the green one is more of a Mark IV with the class A power amp tubes wired in pentode, my choice to achieve a more IIC+ oriented tone should be the no stripe, with a Studio Preamp in the fx loop, throwing the whole thing into my 4x12 Recto Traditional at full blast. Do you think that this can be a fine solution to get a nice IIC+/III hybrid?

Enough. Sorry for the prolongation, and thanks in advance to anyone who’ll read this till the end.

POOOOOH !
That`s a bulk you throwed in here, but of course it`s o.k.
First of all I think it`s about the music you play, and therefore you`ll have to choose the sound.

I never had any IIC+ or a Recto Traditional and all what I know from reading about here the III Red would come closest to the C+, originally as it is.
In many cases mods of the other IIIs have been done to become the "III+" and in most cases customers had been enthusiastic about the mod, but there were numerous who hadn`t been at all and even reversed after.

The most simple thing I can tell you is that I play mostly Classic Rock and each other things, but no Metal and I was so pleased with my first RED (and then +Thiele) for 25 years that I bought a second one.

As a matter of fact that you`re experienced with amps and sounds and changed "you mind" in the past for a few times, even more I`d advise you to check out an amp before you will buy then to prevent disappointment and anger.......
So in general if you`re going for basic sounds and don`t miss the versatility of a IV I think there`s no reason at all to miss the JP-2C either........

Thank you for the reply!

My problem has always been the same: I’m too far from the sellers, so if I really want something, the only feasible way is to get as much informations as I can, and hope for the best. In the last sixteen years, I’ve bought an Engl Fireball, a Marshall 6100, a Laney VH100R, a Mark IV and a Mark V, just reading manuals and reviews, and watching videos on YouTube. And I’ve sold ‘em all, the only thing I’ve kept is that trusty Mesa 4x12. So you’re absolutely right, to buy without trying is getting more and more frustrating. I mean, some of those amps are top notch instruments, but every time there’s something that don’t match my expectations, then I start trying to convince myself that I like it, but after a while, I sold the amp, the guitar or whatever else.

Regarding what I play, it’s some kind of crossover, mostly instrumental prog metal with a bit of symphonic flavour, that’s my own music and I will start to record it as soon as I get the next amp. Guitar-wise, it’s all about rhythm, this is a one-man project and I don’t care about lead guitars, without mentioning that I’m not able to shred properly! :oops:
So, yeah, I will not miss the Mark V nor the JP-2C versatility at all, just need two basic sounds: a pristine clean and a tight rhythm tone, as I have to deal with some pretty low tunings (mainly C# an B). I need a little more gain than what the Mark V is capable of. I know that blue and green are the most gainy revisions, yet I’m a IIC+ fetish victim searching for that humongous 105 tranny. Unfortunately, there’s no red stripes at reasonable price out there, at least in my country; just black, blue and green, for about 1200 €.

Seems like another bulk! So sorry, I can’t help myself.

Back