Tone and settings question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derf

Reaction score
Please dont give me too much hazing over this question, but I've got a Mark III red stripe. I typically like to play metal, but ocasionally I like softer like John Mayer. I love his tone he has on several of the songs on the Continuum album. I've been told there's no way I'm going to get a tone like that with my Mesa. With as versatile as mark III's are, I'm hoping that tone is in there. If anyone can help me, that would be great. Also my Mark III has the EQ, but no reverb.

Again, please don't beat me up too much over this question.

Thanks,
Derf

Hi Mate

I have a Mark III Blue stripe 60wt - Eq & Rev - this amp has been modded with EL34 power tubes and a Celestion V30 speaker in a combo. I think I can nearly replicate John Mayer continuum slow dancing & belief (live - where the light is tour) - although it is hard to get the feeling through the strings as John would do, but I am pretty happy with my tones I get from that amp)

I use channel 2
Volume on 7 - 7.5 (pulled)
Treble on 6.5 (pulled)
Bass on 2.5 (pushed)
Middle on 2 (Pulled for 2nd channel)
Master - to desired level (mine sits around 1.5 - 2) - Pulled for boost

Back Panel
Reverb is nearly on 10
Presence is up too at around 6-7

EQ
80H - about 3/4 up on slider - (depending on bass level and volume)
240H - Just under middle
750H - Just above the bottom
2200H - 1/2 up to middle line
6600H - Around the middle line or just under

I'm using an american deluxe strat body with Australian made 1/4 sawn flamed blackwood neck & Klien No 1 set of pickups

Hope that helps dude

I love my Mark III & I'm starting to really dig this strat too.

Casey

Perfect! And thank you, I'll give those settings a try.
If anyone else has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Derf

Where the Light Is has some of the best guitar tones ever. I can't help with Mark III settings but I can say kudos for aiming high!

Back