So, bought a Mk III again (DRG, 105 PT, "RCS" Signed)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
I've had a ton of Mark's over the years (not as many as Rectos, which borders on the obscene, but still more than I can count). I recently had a couple IIC+ heads pass through, in addition to V. I just didn't want gear money tied up in them (as I defer to my Rectos in bands), but I did run across a Mark III in recent days and decided to give it a go since the investment is much less. It's been ages since I owned a III, and the last one I played was a Blue Stripe my bandmate had probably 6-7 years ago. That being said...

This one sound great! I picked up a 1985 Mesa Mark III long chassis head unit. It's an early one, so no dot or stripe on it. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but picked this one up because it's in amazing condition, signed off on by Randall Smith, Simul-Class, and has the 105 PT. Sounds and "feels" dangerously close to my old IIC+ heads. Does the old Metallica and Dream Theater vibe in spades.

Congrats and welcome again in the Mark-and "III"-Club...................As for the sound it looks like you won't regret it ever ....;)

Silverwulf said:
I've had a ton of Mark's over the years (not as many as Rectos, which borders on the obscene, but still more than I can count). I recently had a couple IIC+ heads pass through, in addition to V. I just didn't want gear money tied up in them (as I defer to my Rectos in bands), but I did run across a Mark III in recent days and decided to give it a go since the investment is much less. It's been ages since I owned a III, and the last one I played was a Blue Stripe my bandmate had probably 6-7 years ago. That being said...

This one sound great! I picked up a 1985 Mesa Mark III long chassis head unit. It's an early one, so no dot or stripe on it. I wasn't particularly looking for one, but picked this one up because it's in amazing condition, signed off on by Randall Smith, Simul-Class, and has the 105 PT. Sounds and "feels" dangerously close to my old IIC+ heads. Does the old Metallica and Dream Theater vibe in spades.

Congrats on the new amp! You know ur clip featuring the mark iii blue head was what made me get one!

I too have had a few Mesa Mark amps, including the heralded C+, and I didn't hold on to them. A few years ago I ran across a rack mount III that was a really good price that I bought intending to flip.

It had the first volume pot shaft sheared off, and a missing slider knob on the GEQ, which I ordered and replaced from Mesa. After getting it to here Iwas really looking how it sounded. I had the local Mesa service center replace the caps. It took a couple of weeks for the caps to settle in, as it wasn't the only amp I was playing at the time, but I was impressed with where the tone was going with this amp.

There was a guy here that was selling a combo cab, that I bought, and I turned the amp into my grab n go. I've replaced the speaker with an EV 12L, C90, G12-k100, Vintage 30, and it currently has a Scumback M75/100 in it. They all sounded good, but honestly the amp sounds best through a 4x12 or two. I built and bought the three foot switches to have all the gain/volume/eq/reverb options for live playing, but most of the time I set the amp in R2, with the first volume slightly lower than the recommended 7, (usually between 5 & 6), so I can get the master above 2, then set the Lead drive lower, and use the lead master as my solo boost.

These amps are just like any other from that era, some are duds, most are very good, and a few are amazing. I still have other great amps that I play more than this one, but it won't be going anywhere any time soon.

Btw, you amp looks very good, I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Latest posts

Back