PCB trace damaged?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
I had some work done on my Mark IIb recently and had the screen grids returned to carbon comps.I have just noticed that a bit of the trace on the PCB at the screen grid has been lifted off with the solder of the old component.
Will this cause any problems?If so how should this be fixed?
Untitled.jpg

That looks fine. You can run a little solder onto it to beef it up if you're concerned, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Don!I only just noticed it and was wondering if it cause any problems.

Dont mess with it.It is still connected,just like a floating wire.If you try to "beef it up" you may lift more of the trace,or worse.These boards are quite fragile when it comes to a soldering iron.

stokes said:
Dont mess with it.It is still connected,just like a floating wire.If you try to "beef it up" you may lift more of the trace,or worse.These boards are quite fragile when it comes to a soldering iron.
Thanks Stokes.Actually I think the tech that did the work must have actually touched it up a bit and the blob of solder has came loose.I noticed a bit of loose solder and in other pics after the job that bit of trace that is missing is covered with some solder.
incidentally what problems could/would arise if this trace wasn't making a solid connection?

Quite often when removing/replacing components,a little too much heat will cause the pad (the pad is the end of the trace with the hole that holds the components lead) to lift off the board.Often a small length of trace will lift as well.It appears your tech tried to add a blob of solder to connect to the part of the trace still attached to the board.If there was no connection from the trace to the resistor your screen grid would get no voltage,tube would likely blow.Just leave it alone.I have applied a little too much heat like this before and lifted the pad/trace from the board.To make a more secure repair I have bypassed the entire trace with a wire connecting the component to whatever is connected to the other end of the trace.

stokes said:
Quite often when removing/replacing components,a little too much heat will cause the pad (the pad is the end of the trace with the hole that holds the components lead) to lift off the board.Often a small length of trace will lift as well.It appears your tech tried to add a blob of solder to connect to the part of the trace still attached to the board.If there was no connection from the trace to the resistor your screen grid would get no voltage,tube would likely blow.Just leave it alone.I have applied a little too much heat like this before and lifted the pad/trace from the board.To make a more secure repair I have bypassed the entire trace with a wire connecting the component to whatever is connected to the other end of the trace.
Cheers Stokes.I'll just leave well alone then.If you say it's ok that's good enough for me :)

To add to what Stokes said, I have a "trace protector". It's very crude but functional.

Take 19g drawing up needle (a needle for a syringe but it's got a blunt end - used to draw up drugs/fluids into the syringe).
A 16g is even better if U can get one.
Hammer the last 5-10mm flat - ie take the needle from a round profile to flat as a pancake.
Grind off one side leaving half the needle now flattened.
File a tiny notch in end - big enough to fit around a component lead.
Bend a right angle about 7mm back - space between components is usually small...

Hold this down against the pad with the notch straddling the component lead - heat the solder - lift component - keep needle insitu for a few more seconds.

It's stainless so solder doesn't adhere, it acts as a small heatsink so protects the pad.

Never had a pad lift since using this little baby..

Latest posts

Back