Switching to wicker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/22464516430/in/datetaken/

Switching it up with my Mark llC+ Stack. $25 for the wicker, about an hour to cut the plywood, paint it, and staple the wicker on. I did soak the wicker in hot water for 10-15 minutes and it did tighten up quite a bit after it dried. It is surprisingly taught at this point. When I do it again, I won't try to stretch it as much as I did and concentrate on lining the holes up better knowing that the wicker will pull in. Overall I'd say it is very easy to make wicker replacement grills.

That looks great man, I used to have a hardwood and wicker and i am still missing it, i am going to wicker up my black tolex like you did... it has a bit more of attitude to it than with hardwood, i like!

I never would have thought of putting a wicker grill on black tolex. Might want to copy your idea. I really like it !!!

Buster Leggs said:
I never would have thought of putting a wicker grill on black tolex. Might want to copy your idea. I really like it !!!

!!???!!
It's been done hundreds of times, actually Thousands!
Not only by myself and others but it's a stock option from Mesa as well!

Nice job Markedman!

gts said:
Buster Leggs said:

!!???!!
It's been done hundreds of times, actually Thousands!
Not only by myself and others but it's a stock option from Mesa as well!

Nice job Markedman!
My knowledge of mesa boogie is limited, I've not seen that done before. I'm still at newbe status trying to learn as much as I can so wicker on tolex may be common knowledge by most board members, I've just not seen it before. I didn't realize I was commenting on something that is that well known by most. My bad

+1. Looks sharp!
Thanks. I went and ordered more wicker to do it again, I wasn't happy with the way it came out when it dried. I made many mistakes the first time, from not cutting the baffle smaller and rounding the corners, routing the plywood so I could attach the badge on, to trusting the wicker to shrink enough without pulling it tight when stapling it on. The second attempt was much better. It cost me $25.00 and maybe an hours time.

It darkens heavily not only somewhat, even when not staying in the sunlight over the decades.
But for my taste I like the bright more.
I reflercted about to do the job of my own on my second combo and for one of the two Thiele but I was too coward.
I nailed that, an original, for the combo once on ebay for 35 bucks, and the other one I let the basked maker do, also for 35 bucks. He did the job perfectly, 1:1 like the MESA stuff for 350,-.
The only thing I had to do was to by a plank and sew all the holes into it.
Making that thing wet and lay it often in the sun it will become very dark brown, but I won`t do.......

You can also use a cloth to wipe some light wood stain on the wicker to take the bright whiteness off new wicker before you screw the baffle back on. Instant vintage look.

Mine looks great.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/26142781875/in/dateposted-public/

Getting better at it. The wicker is still wet on this amp in this picture, it takes about a week or so for the wicker to pull tight.

Markedman said:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/26142781875/in/dateposted-public/

Getting better at it. The wicker is still wet on this amp in this picture, it takes about a week or so for the wicker to pull tight.

That's odd. It only takes overnight when I do them.
Maybe you live in a really humid environment.

Back