Carbon Comp Screen Grids Or Metal oxide

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Has anyone here replaced the 470 ohm carbon comp screen grids for the metal film type?
When having My Mark IIb repaired I also wanted it restored to stock and for the tech to return all replaced parts to original.
He done all of the work but was a bit hesitant to install Carbon Comp screen grids.Didn't really say why just kept asking me if I was sure I wanted it done.
I got some NOS Carbon Comps to get him to install but I've been reading that they can be quite prone to actually catching fire if a tube shorts,possibly damaging other components etc,and for this reason a lot of people prefer the metal oxide type?
I wanted the amp to look original inside(I'm a bit OCD like that)and also to sound the way it was meant to sound hence the carbon comp screen grids!
Exact same for the power droppers.He left the current ones installed.
Any advice on which way I should go and has anyone here ever had any such problems?
If the amp is working do you think I should just let it be?
Here's a couple of pics of the current screen grids and the power droppers(both x 1k)They look a bit "cheap" to me?
20140830_142504.jpg

20140805_222339_1.jpg

Thanks in advance folks.
EDIT:The screen grids that I thought were probaly cheapos are actually vintage Welwyn made in the UK.Not sure about the 1K dropers though?
SO Leave as be or replace?

Hello,

i know about changing carbon comp to metal film resistor could change a lil the feel of the tone, the best compromise for me was to keep carbon resistor with kiwame http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/470r-5w-kiwame-resistor.html

or at least to stay with allen bradley resistor, carbon comp !

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/hb4711-470r-allen-bradley-rc42gf471k-rcr42g471k-p-5432.html

good luck

I would stick with the carbon comp.The screen grid resistor can actually act as a kind of fuse in certain situations.Better to replace a 15 cent resistor than a power tube.

Thanks guys that's what I did.I had the metal oxide ones taken out and put in NOS carbon comps!Although my tech advised against doing so saying I didn't really need to and they were less reliable but I wanted the amp to be as original as posssible so had him install the carbon comps.They also look cool.:)
20151029_165729.jpg

Back