Cab for mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I m in search of a closed back cab for my mark III blue stripe combo. It comes with the old EVML 12" which I like very much, but the combo being semi closed ,I think it lacks some low end. Now, I only record at home and I never gig out, which pretty makes me a bedroom player. I have always wanted to get a nice old marshall 4x12 1960b but due to the fact that I am not going to gig I am not sure if I really need a 4x12. What's your opinion on the old mesa boogie thiele?

If you only want to record at home the thiele is the way to go. To me the EV speaker sounds better than the C90 it comes with these days. I like the sennheiser 906 very much for guitar recording and my sweet spot is 6 cm (2"+) from the speaker grille and a bit off center. Many people like the SM57 but to me it does have some phasing issues that I never get comfortable with. But I ended up using the 4x12 with vintage 30 for my next record. It kind of sits better in the mix. If you record a direct signal you could always reamp the tracks and A/B test the different speakers.

I have a Carvin 4x12 straight cab loaded with Vintage 30s paired with my Mark III and it sounds great. I can't really crank it, at least not when anyone is home, but it still sounds really good even at lower levels.

Thx for the prompt replies guyz! Well, yeah I basically record using an SM 57 but I am going to get an e 906 to blend the tracks. Since the original speaker of the combo is the same as the one in the thiele cab I am not sure whether getting a thiele box would make sense... Maybe I should just get a 4x12 marshall or stay with the combo!

sotosprince said:
Since the original speaker of the combo is the same as the one in the Thiele cab I am not sure whether getting a thiele box would make sense.
I did a comparison between my Thiele and the combo as well both with the EVM speaker. You will get more bottom end in the thiele, and to me that sounds bigger. A 4x12 at home might be overkill, but I have one at home and I love it.

tony777 said:
sotosprince said:
Since the original speaker of the combo is the same as the one in the Thiele cab I am not sure whether getting a thiele box would make sense.
I did a comparison between my Thiele and the combo as well both with the EVM speaker. You will get more bottom end in the thiele, and to me that sounds bigger. A 4x12 at home might be overkill, but I have one at home and I love it.
Hmm.. That's interesting! Thx for the info!

Yes, The Thiele with the EV will add some low end. ( I have 2) Unless you just want a 4-12 cab, I'd get the Thiele. (plus if you do play out at some point, it is a good combination to have, and easy to transport.)

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the consensus is bass-ackwards. :lol:

For home jamming you want to sound good and you never have to move the cab so go big and heavy with the 4x12. If I were gigging still I'd use the combo or a 1x12 for ease of transport. Besides, you have a 98.5% chance you'll be mic'd into a PA and told to turn down anyway so a 4x12 cab will only be there for looks. (Some guys insist on having "the look" to detract from crappy playing :wink: )

My stuff pretty much stays home but I may go to a buddy's house or play a bar once or twice a year so I split the difference with a vertical 2x12. It sounds great but I can still carry it by myself and it fits in my trunk.
Down the road if I ever have too much money laying around I was thinking of getting a Mesa 20/20 and another vertical 2x12 for a really fun stereo rig.

Has anyone tried the orange ppc 1x12? They come with the celestion vintage 30 and they are supposed to be good quality cabs.

I have a lot of experience with this. If you look at my signature, you'll see I have all the options covered. I'd pick up an old MESA slant cabinet with Celestions or Eminence on top and EVs on the bottom. If you played out often, I'd pick up a thiele, but you don't so moving this sucker is not a problem. There is a model where you can have the top half open which is a nice option for sound dispersion. A thiele will work better in conjunction with the combo than either by themselves but the 4X12 speaker arrangement makes it easier to dial in a good bass response at bedroom levels and the all around thickening will make the sound more complex.

Markedman said:
I have a lot of experience with this. If you look at my signature, you'll see I have all the options covered. I'd pick up an old MESA slant cabinet with Celestions or Eminence on top and EVs on the bottom. If you played out often, I'd pick up a thiele, but you don't so moving this sucker is not a problem. There is a model where you can have the top half open which is a nice option for sound dispersion. A thiele will work better in conjunction with the combo than either by themselves but the 4X12 speaker arrangement makes it easier to dial in a good bass response at bedroom levels and the all around thickening will make the sound more complex.
Thx a lot man! I am not playing out, I will be only recording home. I just need that little little extra bottom end! I suppose the thiele will get me there right? Also, have you tried the marshall 2x12 or 4x12 with gt 75s?

https://m.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/23136392332/

Yes, I have 2 Marahall cabinets, they sound great. The A has G70 and the B has G75 speakers, original from the 80's. I prefer the 70s.

Latest posts

Back