Mark III/Mark V/Mark V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a blue stripe Mark III since the early nineties and picked up a Mark V in 2012.

I wanted to like the Mark V's lead channel enough to use it instead of the Mark III but really never felt the love. The V felt far too compressed and sterile compared to the sheer aggression of the Mark III. Crunch mode really did nothing for me.

I finally sold the Mark V a few months ago and bought a V:25 for a variety of reasons.

Although I will never sell my Mark III, the V:25 is unquestionably the better amp for me. I spend all my time in Crunch mode on channel 1 and IIc+ mode on channel 2.

The V:25 is more of a beast than the III, amazingly.

I frequently ran my III in Class A mode, which was a deafening 15 watt mode, so I don't have any problems with the fact that the newer amp runs at 25. If I want more headroom I can (and do) run it through the power sections of my Dual Rectifier and Tremoverb.

The V:25 is a beast and it's the amp I play the most. Seemed worth sharing.

Thanks for sharing. I love my Mark III too and don't have any plans to ever get rid of it. I would love to check out a Mark V 25 as well, but there aren't any around here. I don't even think the 2 GC's near me have them in.

lowercasee said:
Thanks for sharing. I love my Mark III too and don't have any plans to ever get rid of it. I would love to check out a Mark V 25 as well, but there aren't any around here. I don't even think the 2 GC's near me have them in.
I think Mesa/Boogie dropped GC as one of their retailers back in 2013 or so - pretty sure you'll have to look elsewhere for anything but used Mesas.

mkVplayer said:
lowercasee said:
I think Mesa/Boogie dropped GC as one of their retailers back in 2013 or so - pretty sure you'll have to look elsewhere for anything but used Mesas.

That makes sense. Outside of a used Dual Rec or 2, I haven't seen any new Mesa stuff at either place in a while.

ryjan said:
Xtreme mode balances very well with Crunch mode.

Agreed. They are very similar it seems. Xtreme just has more gain stages. They are both very immediate sounding (stiff?) and loud.

Markedman said:
There is a mark IV on CL - $550 obo - but after reading this post, I'm debating myself!

What the what?? That's a retarded price! Assuming it is in working order you could easily flip it and make a few hundred bucks after you give it a go. To me, the IV was too temperamental, and the volume was hard to control. The V:25 is much friendlier is pretty much every regard. It is pretty easy to make a IV sound less than great (tweaker's paradise). It is VERY hard to make the V:25 sound bad. It is instant gratification as much as can be obtained from a Mark series amp.

Markedman said:
There is a mark IV on CL - $550 obo - but after reading this post, I'm debating myself!

Wow, that's an incredible price! As stated, you could easily make a nice profit on that if you don't like it, assuming it's in good condition. There is one on my local CL and they are asking $1000, though it is in like new condition. Even that is a decent price and I would snatch it up if I had the money.

Back