Mark 2c problem?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannyk

Reaction score
So, i ran into a mark 2c at the local musicstore friday afternoon, that don't happen to often here in sweden....so of course i bought it.. :p

When i got home and really got to play it i discovered that the lead channel didn't have alot of gain, i could just get ac/dc overdrive out of it whit the lead-gain at 10...i was expecting a nice singing lead-tone...

Any ideas? Can the preamp-tubes be the problem?

/Daniel

The settings is:

Bass 5
Middle 3
Treble 6
Lead gain 8-10
Lead master 3

/Daniel

The IIC does not at all have the amount of gain like the C+ so your amp might work as it should.

Try to raise the treble, it adds more gain. don't be afraid to run it on 10, and volume 1 about 7 or 8.
Does it have the GEQ? if it does, you might want to raise the middle as well, and reduce the mids at the 750 slider.

Ok....thanks for the info.

Its not like it sounds bad in any way, i was just expecting something different.

Btw its a no eq no reverb mk2 c

/Daniel

As mentioned, raising the treble will increase the gain. Also raise Volume 1, which affects the lead channel gain too - I run mine around 8-9 and use guitar's volume knob to dial my clean channel back in. You can also pull the Master Volume knob out for more gain. I usually pull the Bass and Treble knobs too.

The IIC is a great amp, but does not have as much gain as a C+. The tone is not as smooth as a C+. The clean is very good. The tone is very tight. The dirty channel can sound a little harsh, but the sustain and harmonics in the amp is awesome for leads. Leads also cut through any band mix great too.

Some preamp tube rolling will help get rid of some of the harshness. Also, an EVM12L speaker will sound brighter than the C90 version of the Black Shadow.

So i spent a couple hours with the amp last night and found out a couple of things.

The Clean channel is great, one of the best i have Heard. Clear, crisp an very sensitive to pick attack etc.

The lead-channel is good, not what i expected but i still managed to dial in some cool sounds.

But i find It very hard to balance volume and eq-settings between the two channels. When i dial in a good Cleansound it sounds to bassy i the lead-channel etc.

It takes od-pedal in front very well.

/Daniel

Dannyk said:
But i find It very hard to balance volume and eq-settings between the two channels. When i dial in a good Cleansound it sounds to bassy i the lead-channel etc.
/Daniel
This is common in all MKII's and MKIII's. You might want a boost pedal which is able to reduce the amount of bass.
I do the exact opposite in my IIC+ and MKIII, but that is because they have a lot of gain on it's own.
What I actually did was to make a channel switcher with FX loop so the boost pedal is in the circuit on one channel only.

One trick you can do to help balance the channels is switching on the graphic EQ for the Lead channel only. Just drop the sliders until you get the volumes to balance out. To do this you put the EQ switch in the middle position.
EQ "IN" (up)= EQ on for both channels.
EQ "middle position" = EQ on for Lead channel only
EQ "OUT" = EQ off for both channels.

Thanks for the replys....

My amp doesn't have the graphic EQ.

I think i gonna use it as a one channel amp with some pedals in front, i think that will do it for me.

/Daniel

If it has the RP10 or RP11 board it can be modded to C+ and you will have the best sounding amp ever. And a GEQ pedal in the loop will get you right into Metallica/Dream Theater territory if that's what you want. But shipping to Petaluma is more expensive than the mod itself. But in the end it's worth it. The FX loop will come after the lead channel in the signal chain and is tons more useful than the regular IIC.

What power configuration is it?

its a 60 watt combo , no reverb and no eq ,it has the ev-speaker.

I haven´t checked the circuitboard but the serial number is 122xx.....

If it has the the right board, how much does it cost to upgrade it to a c+?

/Daniel

I did a mod to a IIC last year. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=68493
The cost was $400 for the + mod, and Mesa will ask you to do a full checkup since the amp is already there. Most recommended.
But shipping will cost twice that amount with UPS both ways.

With a 60w non eq, you will probably not get your money back, but you will have a fantastic sounding amp.

Grattis! Vilket kap.

Har letat efter en IiC eller C+ i våra trakter i åratal. Får nöja mig med mina andra Markar så länge.

Back to english:

Don't forget that the first knob (volume) controls the input gain for the whole amp. Keeping this control high 7-8 increases the gain in both the clean and lead mode. And that the pull function on the treble knob gives you a bit of a boost also.

Try this:
Vol 8 pull
Tre 8 pull
Bass 2
Mid 5
Mast wherever pull
Drive 8
LM wherever pull
Pres dial to your liking

This should give you a good starting point and the amp should be near it's maximum useable gain. Of course, cranking vol, tre and drive to 10 gives you all of it, but with a properly working Mark series amp, you shouldn't have to. Even the IIB I owned briefly had too much gain with everything cranked. And I like my gain.

Another thing to consider is that without the graphic eq, I find that the amps gives the impression that it has less gain than it does. To me it seems that all the midrange the amp is capable of somehow masks the gain a bit. But when you start scooping these mids out a bit and boost the highs and lows, the now more open tone makes the gain more appearent. I would recommend a eq of some sort, preferably the Mesa eq pedal, especially if you play more rock/metal styles. I feel that the eq is a very useable tool on a Mark series amp. Not sure if a eq in the loop of a IIC will work that good, because of the position of the loop in that amp. But it might be worth a try.

Lycka till! Annars kan du ju alltid sälja den till mig?

Tack för tipsen....jag tror jag behåller den ett tag till iaf.. :p

Nice to see a another swedish boogie fan...

/Daniel

Dannyk said:
Btw Bullen!

You got a very nice collection of amps!

/Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

Yes, there is something wrong with me :roll:

I guess it's a case of G.A.S and a search for the ultimate tone that has cost me a LOT of money though the years. I have also noticed that I grow a bit tired of a certain amp if I play it a lot, and I like a lot of different types of tones, so it's nice to be able to play different stuff depending in my mood. I think I have 5 different amps and a 10 unit rack at my bands rehearsal place right now. I've sold a lot of great amps (and some crap) as well, but these days I try to hold on to what I got. So it's starting to become somewhat of a collection. But Mesa amps, especially the Mark series are closest to my heart.

Ha det!

Volume 1 was set quite low, but now i have realised that volume 1 is a big part of the lead channel too.

/Daniel

Back