Warm up time for a Mark amp?

Mark I's, II's, III's and the almight IV

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Markedman
Donating Member

Warm up time for a Mark amp?

Post by Markedman » Mon May 25, 2015 10:40 am

It seems to me the tubes heat up fast, fast enough to not make a huge difference in sound when switching them after 30 minutes of being turned on. My Mark amps always need a good half hour before they sound really good so I'm thinking it's the transformers and caps that need to warm up more so than the tubes. When I try different tubes, I don't have to wait a half hour to hear the difference, it take seconds for 12ax7's to get up to speed when I'm rolling tubes, power tubes maybe about 5 minutes, ?, if the amp has been on for a while. I know my fingers need a half hour of exercise to work good. Is it the amp's guts that need to warm up or my ears?
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Re: Warm up time for a Mark amp?

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon May 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I've noticed the same with both my Mark III and V.

I've always assumed it's why Mark chassis are always tubes down regardless of whether it's a combo or head.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Tue May 26, 2015 8:31 am

When tubes warm up in standby,only the filaments are warming the tube elements just enough to operate,or function.When you take the amp off standby into play mode the high voltage is applied and gets the plates cooking,when you begin to play or add signal to the mix,currents rise and fall creating more heat and really get the tubes cooking.So the heat is applied in stages untill the tubes get to that "sweet spot".

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 am

screamingdaisy wrote:I've noticed the same with both my Mark III and V.

I've always assumed it's why Mark chassis are always tubes down regardless of whether it's a combo or head.
The chassis are in the same position in both the head and combo's for ease of production.A head cab is the same as a combo cab,just not as tall.Its all about maximizing profit.

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue May 26, 2015 6:34 pm

stokes wrote:
screamingdaisy wrote:I've noticed the same with both my Mark III and V.

The chassis are in the same position in both the head and combo's for ease of production.A head cab is the same as a combo cab,just not as tall.Its all about maximizing profit.
I'd buy that argument if Mesa made all their amps that way and weren't spending extra money to install fans and heatsinks.

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 pm

They use heat sinks and fans because having the tubes upside down is more prone to causing heat issues.When the tubes are upside down the heat is kept in and absorbed by the chassis being above the tubes.If the tubes are above the chassis the heat dissipates better,it isnt absorbed by the chassis and components it will just rise and dissipate.If you compare the head and combo cabs,they are exactly the same except the combo is taller.No need to re-tool for a different cab,saves a lot of cost.

bgh
Mark III

Post by bgh » Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I do know that my Mark IV sounds better after it is used for a while. Sitting in "standby" doesn't seem to assist one way or the other (as others have said).

I know it's not in the Mark lineage, but my Nomad does not need that sort of "warmup" time.

Now, if I could only get them both to make me sound better after an hour or so!
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977) • Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps and such: Mesa Boogie Mark IV-B • Mesa Nomad 45 • Mesa TA-30 • Effectrode Blackbird • Kingsley Jester • AMT SS-11a • Zoom G5

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm

stokes wrote:They use heat sinks and fans because having the tubes upside down is more prone to causing heat issues.When the tubes are upside down the heat is kept in and absorbed by the chassis being above the tubes.If the tubes are above the chassis the heat dissipates better,it isnt absorbed by the chassis and components it will just rise and dissipate.If you compare the head and combo cabs,they are exactly the same except the combo is taller.No need to re-tool for a different cab,saves a lot of cost.
I'd buy that argument if Mesa made all their amps that way and weren't spending extra money to install fans and heatsinks....

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:
stokes wrote:They use heat sinks and fans because having the tubes upside down is more prone to causing heat issues.When the tubes are upside down the heat is kept in and absorbed by the chassis being above the tubes.If the tubes are above the chassis the heat dissipates better,it isnt absorbed by the chassis and components it will just rise and dissipate.If you compare the head and combo cabs,they are exactly the same except the combo is taller.No need to re-tool for a different cab,saves a lot of cost.
I'd buy that argument if Mesa made all their amps that way and weren't spending extra money to install fans and heatsinks....
Not offering an "argument" or anything for you to "buy".Dont understand what your "argument" is.

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm

stokes wrote:
screamingdaisy wrote:
Not offering an "argument" or anything for you to "buy".Dont understand what your "argument" is.
I argued in a round about fashion that I believe Mesa leaves the Mark chassis tubes down because they sound better hot.

You argued that Mesa leaves the Mark's chassis tubes down because it's cheaper.

I pointed out that it costs Mesa extra money to install fans and heatsinks.

You countered by stating that heat rises.

I pointed out that it costs Mesa extra money to install fans and heatsinks.

You countered by stating that you're not offering an argument.

Not sure where you want to go from here... I still believe Mesa leaves the Mark chassis tubes down because they sound better hot.

No idea if I'm right or not, but it is funny that every Mark and Mark derivative amp head is tubes down while non-Mark heads are tubes up...

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 pm

When Mesa first started they built one amp,a MkI.No head version,just a combo.A combo usually has the chassis hanging from the top.Had nothing to do with the tube sounding better when hot,tho they do,as I explained in my first reply,and why they do.So now when they started building head versions they stuck with the same cab design,didnt go with the Marshall arrangement with the chassis facing the other way,which Marshall did because the EL34's operate much hotter.The cost of adding a .79 cent fan and a 25 cent heat sink is insignificant compared to the cost of designing and building a different cab.The fan and heat sink does offset the damage of heating the entire chassis does to the components and,most of all,killing those crap tubes they use.

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 pm

never mind... This is getting boring...

ryjan
Dual Recto

Post by ryjan » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 am

screamingdaisy wrote:never mind... This is getting boring...
It's a thread about the warm up time for a guitar amp. It was already boring from the first post.
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

paul461
Mark I

Post by paul461 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:10 pm

just love this thread..tubes :D
PRS Custom 24 - PRS CE 22 - SVL 61 Reserve Stratocaster with SVL 59 Reserves - Fender 57 Reissue Strat with SVL 59 Reserves - Lowden O23 - Lowden F32cx - Takamine TNV 460SC - Tokai LSF 100 Les Paul - Levinson Blade Strat - Mesa/Boogie F50.

stokes
Single Recto

Post by stokes » Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm

If it bores you,go on to the next thread.