Opinion on Mark IIC+ non eq

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Hi everyone. As some of you already know. I am a proud owner of a quad preamp and a 2:90 power amp. I am more than happy with the metal tones I can get, but recently I ve been thinking of getting myself either a nice mark III red stripe or a MarkIIC+ if the price is right. The thing is that I live in Greece and it's very difficult to track a clean mkc+ for a fair price. Last week I managed to track down one but this is the non eq model. As far as I know this is an original 60w - reverb version. The price is 1700 euros shipped to my address. IMO the price is fair but the big disadvantage is that there is no eq.... I almost always use a 5 band parametric eq with my quad but that means further messing with the quad's eq. My question is, do you think this model would suit me fine with the aid of the parametric for old metallica? Or should I just wait for a fully loaded head? I am just afraid that prices will only get higher...

hd7Qs_JIC.jpg

3Qu8RkNgt.jpg

_TAE31zVp.jpg

_TmlIEd2H.jpg

vqDo_6x6.jpg

T-Wv-guGp.jpg

I'll just post what I sent you via PM yesterday.

With an EQ in the loop, it'll do old Metallica easily - and many, many other awesome tones. Also, the Mesa 5-band pedal is seriously a nice unit, much nicer than the other standard pedals and it more than holds its own against some pretty nice rack units. I almost bought a vintage TC para on ebay yesterday but held back since this pedal is really top notch. So with the pedal out, the game has changed.

We also got to keep things real hear. A fully loaded IIC+ is not going to go for the same amount of money - especially in Europe. I'm not going to say it's hype, but the 60W Non-GEQ will get you wherever you want to go - but with the need for OUTBOARD GEAR. By the way, I've heard others say it (including Mike) and personally feel the same, the 60W has a very sweet single-note tone if you predominantly play leads (which I guess isn't really the thing for Metallica fans). While Simulclass might sound great for rhythm, I thought it was less focused than the 60W in terms of fast individual notes. So back to my original point, not a bad tradeoff at all for 1/2 the money. No doubting though, the DRG is absolutely stellar if you have the coin to go that extra 1-5%.

Now that said, I don't know if you need to spend the money if all you want is Metallica tone. Your setup already appears to be acing it so I don't know if you could really improve upon it THAT much while being cost effective (even if you found a fully loaded IIC+). That said, people will always be after a IIC+ - not sure about the quad + poweramp.

Finally, the biggest issue with this particular amp isn't the fact that it's a 60W w/o GEQ but that it has a replacement transformer... that alone would give me pause.

Crimson King said:
I'll just post what I sent you via PM yesterday.

With an EQ in the loop, it'll do old Metallica easily - and many, many other awesome tones. Also, the Mesa 5-band pedal is seriously a nice unit, much nicer than the other standard pedals and it more than holds its own against some pretty nice rack units. I almost bought a vintage TC para on ebay yesterday but held back since this pedal is really top notch. So with the pedal out, the game has changed.

We also got to keep things real hear. A fully loaded IIC+ is not going to go for the same amount of money - especially in Europe. I'm not going to say it's hype, but the 60W Non-GEQ will get you wherever you want to go - but with the need for OUTBOARD GEAR. By the way, I've heard others say it (including Mike) and personally feel the same, the 60W has a very sweet single-note tone if you predominantly play leads (which I guess isn't really the thing for Metallica fans). While Simulclass might sound great for rhythm, I thought it was less focused than the 60W in terms of fast individual notes. So back to my original point, not a bad tradeoff at all for 1/2 the money. No doubting though, the DRG is absolutely stellar if you have the coin to go that extra 1-5%.

Now that said, I don't know if you need to spend the money if all you want is Metallica tone. Your setup already appears to be acing it so I don't know if you could really improve upon it THAT much while being cost effective (even if you found a fully loaded IIC+). That said, people will always be after a IIC+ - not sure about the quad + poweramp.

Finally, the biggest issue with this particular amp isn't the fact that it's a 60W w/o GEQ but that it has a replacement transformer... that alone would give me pause.
Thx a lot for your detailed answer!

I've had about 4-5 Mark IIc+ amps now. The one that I've kept all these years is a 100 watt non GEQ, non Simulclass, Reverb. The rest were pretty much fully loaded. I don't miss the GEQ at all and if I wanted to, I would buy their 5-band EQ pedal and toss it in the in/out loop.

If we were talking about a Mark III however I would want the GEQ. That's been my experience over the last 30 years with the Boogie Mark series. However I play more in the Santana/Jeff Beck tonal network, not Metalica.

I have a IIC+ with reverb and no GEQ. I run the Mesa Five Band Graphic in the loop, and it sounds great. If you don't mind using the pedal, it'll save you a lot of money, and sound 99% as good as a loaded model. I originally was using the Input and Output Level knobs at noon on the pedal. It turns out that’s a bit too low. I’ve since found a IIC with internal GEQ. To get comparable volume and tone between the amps, I needed to put the Output Level on the pedal to around 3 o’clock.
HTH,
Brad

Back