Mark IV with Something Oily around Certain Areas

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GieBoo

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV 1x12 combo which I have had since around 2007. Purchased it new. I have noticed an oily like substance that is appearing around certain areas like the switches for Class A/B - Class A, the Triode/Pentode switch and some areas around the EQ.

Don't know where this is coming from, but wanted to know 1) if anyone else has experienced this, and 2) if it's cause for concern.

Aside from that the amp is running great.

Thanks.

GieBoo said:
I have a Mark IV 1x12 combo which I have had since around 2007. Purchased it new. I have noticed an oily like substance that is appearing around certain areas like the switches for Class A/B - Class A, the Triode/Pentode switch and some areas around the EQ.

Don't know where this is coming from, but wanted to know 1) if anyone else has experienced this, and 2) if it's cause for concern.

Aside from that the amp is running great.

Thanks.

The high voltage attracts certain type of contamination from the atmosphere.
It's normal. It happens in TV sets too.

The contamination can be cleaned off with alcohol. The alcohol should be 91% or higher. (you can use Q tips)
The circuit board will not be damaged. Allow the cleaner to dry completely before operating the amp again.
(I use a hair dryer)

Back